Exciting Philanthropy Opportunity
Hybrid Working - At least two days per week in the Impetus office
About the team
The Philanthropy Team raises income for Impetus and for Impetus partner charities. The team consists of twelve staff and is led by the Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships.
The Philanthropy Team works with major donors, corporates and family foundations. We work collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation to ensure we make a compelling case to generate new financial commitments and wider support for our work. The team also deliver a high-quality engagement programme of volunteering and pro bono for Impetus’ corporate supporters (led by our Heads of Engagement) as well as an ambitious events programme (delivered by a team of three events professionals), including a gala dinner which raises over
About this role
The Development Director is a talented and ambitious fundraiser who will join our dynamic, collaborative Impetus Philanthropy Team and have responsibility for delivering the team’s annual fundraising target by managing a portfolio of prospects and major gift donors who support Impetus’ core work.
The post holder will work collaboratively with the Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships on all aspects of fundraising and will oversee the delivery of the Volunteer Engagement Programme and Pro Bono Programme. They will also work with Events colleagues to ensure the success of Impetus fundraising events.
The Development Director will act as a senior member of Impetus. They will provide important support to the Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships and Senior Management Team (SMT). They will have direct line management responsibility for two Heads of Engagement and will also provide leadership to more junior members of the Philanthropy Team.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects from the Private Equity Industry and surrounding “secondaries” such as banks, law firms and management consultants, as well as raising funds from family foundations and individuals.
- Provide strategic oversight of the delivery of the Volunteer Engagement Programme and Pro Bono programme and help both programmes to further grow.
- Line manage Heads of Engagement providing guidance and support in development of growth strategies, monitor KPI’s and financial targets, mentoring professionalism and best practices.
- Contribute to meeting the Philanthropy Team annual target.
- Maintain high-level relationships with donors and prospective donors, maximising opportunities to secure new sources of income.
- Leverage the contacts of Trustees and pro bono supporters to good effect.
- Provide support and meticulous follow-up to the Chairman, Trustees, senior management and senior volunteers to encourage introductions to potential sources of giving and to ensure their successful involvement in the fundraising process.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships on all aspects of fundraising, producing regular reports of progress against plan.
- Work with the Communications team to ensure all communications with external stakeholders is prompt, clear and compelling, this includes the continuing testing and honing of all fundraising collateral to continuously improve the fundraising ask and stewardship strategies.
- Work with the Head of Events and team to ensure fundraising events are a success, in particular the annual awards dinner.
- Contribute effectively to the wider operational and strategic development of the organisation working at a strategic and cross organisation level.
- Apply technical and digital skills to effectively use platforms such as Office 365 or Google Workspace
- Use Salesforce and other internal systems and processes to effectively manage work and drive performance.
- Identify and maximise appropriate opportunities for internal collaboration with colleagues.
- Demonstrate a level of professionalism and best practice across the philanthropy team and within the organisation that is exemplary.
- Fully comply with all of the organisation’s employment and other policies and procedures.
Fundraising skills and experience
- A proven track record in corporate or major donor fundraising, supported by evidence of raising or managing six or seven figure donors.
- Experience of operating at a senior level with demanding and challenging people including trustees and external stakeholders.
- The ability to direct, lead and personally work through the fundraising cycle with donors.
- Intellectually strong, able to grasp and interpret complex ideas, including the venture philanthropy model of Impetus.
- Strategic thinking, planning and doing – with an ability to generate concepts and ideas, translate then into tangible tactics and execute them.
- Evidence of an innovative, creative approach and the ability to think laterally.
- Proven experience of building a pipeline for new business.
People and project management
- Experience in managing a high performing team with the ability to mentor on the job and deputise for the Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships when necessary.
- A track record as a high-performing member of a team, helping to run the team and contribute beyond own area of responsibility.
- Solid financial management with an ability to establish and deliver a budget, streamlining and finding economies where necessary.
- Working well under pressure with the ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects.
- Broad knowledge of platforms such as Microsoft Office or Google Workspace and experience with CRM platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including exceptional negotiation skills.
- Excellent relationship skills, with the ability to establish and maintain contacts and maximise networks with key internal and external stakeholders.
Commitment to mission and values
- A commitment to Impetus’ mission.
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
Our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
We believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more open, creative and gets better results.
We want our team at Impetus to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our team to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
We want to reach a diverse pool of candidates. We are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good work/life balance. We do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, working part-time job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
Impetus is an equal opportunity employer and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, or marital status. We value diversity and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
To apply please click on the "Apply on Website" button which will direct you to our site to complete your application and go directly to our hiring team.
The deadline for applications is 9am Thursday 04 January 2024
First round interviews will take place: 15 and 16 January 2024
Second round interviews will take place: 22 January 2024
You will also be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK.