Exciting Finance Opportunity
Hybrid Working - At least two days per week in the Impetus office
About the team
This is an important role based in a busy Operations team which covers office management, information technology, finance and human resources. The team play a key role in supporting the organisation to achieve its mission of supporting young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to succeed.
The Operations team comprises the Director of Finance and Operations, HR and Learning Manager, Head of Finance, the Finance and Operations Assistant and a part time Administrator. Payroll and IT support are outsourced.
Our most recent accounts are found here: Impetus accounts
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a finance professional with an interest in the charity sector to play a key role in managing and developing Impetus’ finance function.
The Head of Finance will work closely with the Director of Finance and Operations to ensure effective financial planning, control and management which will ultimately contribute to helping Impetus achieve its mission of improving the lives of children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
As well as being responsible for the smooth running and management of day-to-day financial operations, with support from the Finance and Operations Assistant, the post holder will also have the opportunity to work on strategic projects such as developing our new finance system, reviewing and updating Impetus’ finance policies and procedures and working with senior colleagues on business planning.
The postholder will also be responsible for managing the relationship with Impetus’s outsourced IT provider. This will involve having oversight of IT projects and performance and supporting Impetus staff with queries.
The successful candidate will be full or qualified by experience and will have experience of charity accounting. In addition to the relevant technical skills, we are looking for someone who is committed to our mission, takes a proactive approach and has excellent people skills to build and maintain effective relationships with colleagues.
Senior Management Team (SMT), Resources and Audit Committee and Operations Team. Liaison with the Investment and Philanthropy teams and outsourced IT support organisation. Maintaining effective relationships with auditors, bankers, suppliers and HMRC.
- Ensure financial controls and the integrity of the financial records are maintained.
- Complete month end processes and prepare monthly management accounts, KPIs and commentaries on a timely basis.
- Supervise the finance component of the Finance and Operations Officer’s work.
- Lead the audit process and preparation of statutory accounts from preparation to successful completion.
- Work with the SMT to prepare annual budgets and regular forecasts.
- Monitor performance against budget throughout the financial year.
- Develop projections and business models to support strategic and business planning.
- Prepare the financial scoresheet to understand future reserve levels based on current projections.
- Support the Philanthropy and Investment teams with ad hoc analysis and reporting.
- Preparation of papers for, and attendance at, the Resources and Audit Committee and Endowment Investment Committees.
- Support the preparation of the Resources and Audit Committee’s component of Board papers and content for other committees as required.
- Manage PEF 1, US-sister charity (501(c)3), including board meetings and working with Company Secretary to complete necessary filings.
Supporting the wider organisation
- Business planning including tracking multi-year grant commitments and understanding the balance of reserves after future year income and grant commitments.
- Support the Philanthropy team with donor reporting requirements, reconciliation of income received and reviewing of income against budget and forecast.
- Manage the quarterly grant payment process, liaising with our Investment team to check whether milestones have been met.
- Contribute to strategic projects and funding bids.
Audit and Taxation
- Lead the relationship with the auditors, ensuring that the audit is delivered on schedule and all statutory filings are made on time.
- Responsible for the preparation of statutory accounts and supporting schedules.
- Liaise with tax advisors to ensure compliance.
- Complete quarterly VAT returns and Gift Aid returns.
- Lead in the management of bank accounts and deposits.
- Monitor and review cashflow forecasts.
- Contribute to oversight of the performance of IT support organisation and provide oversight on specific IT projects.
- Be a point of contact for staff for queries and support.
- Liaise with outsourced IT support company on site visits and ensure the technology in the office is well-maintained.
- Responsible for line management and development of the Finance and Operations Assistant.
- Qualified Accountant/qualified by experience - CIMA, ACCA, ACA or equivalent, or be currently a Part-Qualified Accountant with intent to qualify.
- Experience of Charity accounting and preparing statutory accounts.
- Experience of preparing and managing an audit process.
- Strong attention to detail with a clear and diligent working approach.
- Excellent IT skills, including experience of using Microsoft Office; in particular Excel.
- Ability to work independently and use initiative to manage a busy and varied workload.
- A proactive and solutions focussed approach.
- Excellent team player, willing to work flexibly and collaboratively to respond to changing organisational needs/priorities.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with the ability to communicate effectively in a range of formats to a range of audiences (e.g. reports, presentations).
- Ability to explain finance procedures to non-finance people.
- A commitment to Impetus’ mission.
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Experience of Xero or similar software.
- Experience of using CRM systems, such as Salesforce.
- Experience of people/line management.
Diverse & Inclusive Recruitment Process
Our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
We believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more open, creative and gets better results.
We want our team at Impetus to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our team to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop.
We want to reach a diverse pool of candidates. We are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need to in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good work/life balance. We do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, working part-time job shares and other arrangements.
Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
Impetus is an equal opportunity employer and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, or marital status. We value diversity and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.
To apply please click on the "Apply on Website" button which will direct you to our site to complete your application and go directly to our hiring team.