In-House Legal Counsel
These are exciting times for the charity, and we now have an excellent opportunity for a solution oriented and highly pragmatic Lawyer with a specialism in Property/Land Law to join the busy Legal and Governance Department.
Position: In-House Legal Counsel
Salary: £60,000 per annum
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Closing Date: 2 January 2024. Interviews will be held in Sidmouth Devon, during the week commencing 15 January 2024.
As Senior Legal Counsel, you will play a key role in safeguarding the reputation of the Charity, working closely with other members of the Charity’s legal team to provide a first-class legal service and high quality, strategic advice on legal issues across the Charity’s group. You will also assume the management role for the Charity’s small legal team with responsibility for business planning, prioritising activities and controlling workflow to best support the charity in delivering its strategic aims and objectives.
The primary duties and responsibilities within this multifunctional and rewarding role will include:
- Providing accurate, relevant and timely advice to the Charity and our internal clients on a variety of legal topics, in particular property and agricultural matters, both in the UK and internationally.
- Working closely with external law firms, where needed, to ensure that high quality and cost- effective legal support is obtained.
- Working "hands on" on the drafting and negotiating of contracts and other key agreements for the Charity.
- Developing the legal function, frameworks, processes and reporting frameworks to best support the Charity in delivering its charitable objectives; including –
- Building a map of legal need and activity across the charity to prioritise resource.
- Ensuring the legal team understand their contribution to the organisation’s strategic objectives.
- Setting of clear performance standards and targets for the legal function.
- Managing, motivating, recruiting, training and developing the Legal Counsel and/or Paralegal roles in line with the Charity's strategic aims and objectives.
- Setting and reporting on key performance indicators (KPIs) to demonstrate the value of the legal function.
- Managing and mitigating legal risks arising from the Charity’s operations in order to protect the Charity’s reputation and assets
An England and Wales qualified Solicitor, Barrister or Legal Executive with extensive post-qualification experience in land/property law (in-house and/or international legal experience preferable), you will have demonstrable ability to advise with authority at a senior level, and to effectively explain legal points and their impact on the charity clearly and concisely to stakeholders.
You will be able to:
- Understand and interpret complex legal information pertinent to the running of a charity and its global operations.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate with people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy.
- Strategically manage work priorities by addressing immediate critical issues and progressing long-term aims.
- Show a good understanding of (and the ability to adapt to) the context in which the Sanctuary operates.
- Hit the ground running – adept at working autonomously and using initiative to tackle new areas of law confidently and effectively.
The opportunity to apply your skills and experience to a purposeful operation in a more agile role than is generally available in private practice!
Based in Sidmouth, Devon – an area of outstanding natural beauty – this is a full-time, permanent contract starting as soon as possible, working 35 hours per week, 08.30-16.30, Monday-Friday.
The working pattern for this role will combine onsite and home working under our guiding principles for such roles. Primarily working from home, flexibility regarding onsite attendance will be considered for suitable candidates and will be agreed between the hiring manager and post-holder.
If you feel you have the qualifications, skills and experience to fulfil this multifunctional and rewarding role, and would like to be part of the evolutional program of change taking place within the charity, we would love to hear from you.
Based in Sidmouth, Devon – “an area of outstanding natural beauty” benefits include:
- Competitive pension
- Life Assurance
- 31 Days holiday (including Bank holidays), rising to 34 will each full year of service
- Wellbeing Team
- Long Service Awards
- Healthshield Plan
- Free Parking
- Subsidised restaurant and shop
About the Organisation
The charity is one of the UK’s largest international animal welfare charities, currently supporting projects in over 35 countries worldwide, working for a world where donkeys and mules live free from suffering and their contribution to humanity is fully valued.
“The Sanctuary is a positive place to work with friendly staff and a wonderful charity. With amazing work throughout the world, once you join you never want to leave!”
The organisation is a Disability Confident Employer and are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable people (children and adults) and expects all staff and volunteers to undertake this commitment. Applicants will be subject to safer recruitment processes, including an application for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check where required for the post.
Please note: we reserve the right to close this vacancy before the advertised date and therefore encourage early submissions.
You may also have experience in areas such as In House Legal Counsel, Legal Counsel, In House Lawyer, In House Solicitor, Solicitor, Lawyer, Barrister, Property Lawyer, Property Solicitor.
This role is being advertised by NFP People on behalf of the organisation.