Job Description – Data Systems Manager
Reporting to: Senior Data and Supporter Services Manager
Location: Central London/ Hybrid
Hours: Full time,35 Hours Per Week
Salary: £38,266 - £40,280 (We normally offer a starting salary at the start of the range)
FareShare is the UK’s national network of charitable food redistributors, made up of 18 independent organisations. Together, we take good quality surplus food from right across the food industry and get it to nearly 8,500 frontline charities and community groups.
The food we redistribute is nutritious and good to eat. It reaches charities across the UK, including school breakfast clubs, older people’s lunch clubs, homeless shelters, and community cafes. Every week we provide enough food to create almost a million meals for vulnerable people.
Every year, more than three million tonnes of food go to waste in the UK, enough for 7 billion meals. Meanwhile, the cost of living crisis is driving millions into food insecurity.
We are fortunate to benefit from the support of major retailers, the media, ambassadors and a groundswell of public engagement. As a result, there has never been a more exciting time to join an organisation at the heart of public consciousness.
FareShare’s Strategy & Vision
Vision: We have the vision of a UK where “No good food goes to waste”.
Mission: To use surplus, fit for consumption, food to feed those who are vulnerable in the UK by supporting front line charitable organisations that tackle the cause and not just the symptoms of food poverty.
Our Purpose: We are doers. We are a community. We change lives.
Our Values: Passion – for our cause and the challenge that lies ahead
Ambition – to go the extra mile and drive the change that must happen
Respect – for ourselves, each other, our volunteers, our partners and our beneficiaries
Collaboration – it’s only by working with others that we can be stronger
Focus – on providing the best service possible so that we deliver and achieve the most for our clients/customers.
A new role for FareShare, the postholder will play an integral part in the success of the newly formed Fundraising Operations team. This is an exciting opportunity to lead on the use of a newly implemented Salesforce database and shape robust systems and processes across Fundraising’s use of data. We’re looking for someone that, with the right support, excels when there is no previous pattern to copy and who thrives on making things happen.
We have a dynamic Fundraising team and have seen incredible growth in support across income streams. At the same time, the organisation is passionate and committed to keep increasing our activities so that more food can reach the 10,000 charities and community groups nationwide we support. To meet this ambition, we need robust processes that work at increased scale and enable colleagues across new income streams to realise their plans.
You will work closely with colleagues to develop new systems to manage income and data processing across Fundraising. You will work with the Senior Data & Supporter Services Manager to oversee development of the database and implement new ways of working, and work closely with staff across the organisation, including the Fundraising, Finance, and Info teams. You will manage the Gifts Processing Officer and Data Officer and work with the Supporter Experience Manager to ensure that our systems enable us to provide an exceptional donor experience.
Main areas of responsibility
- Work with the Supporter Experience Manager to develop data-led processes to ensure FareShare can offer a high-level of stewardship and thanking
- Provide effective line management of the Gift Processing Officer and the Data Officer
- Ensure that our systems support robust income processing including tracking income sources and reconciliation processes with our finance system
- Responsible for the use and maintenance of the CRM (Salesforce) within Fundraising, working closely with the Info Centre
- Ensure all required imports into Salesforce are carried out, and errors are resolved. Continuously improve the way we manage the collation of data across systems
- Maintain, review, and improve data quality for Fundraising
- Support the Senior Data & Supporter Services Manager to ensure monthly, quarterly and annual KPI reporting is provided to the team, the Head of Fundraising, the Commercial Director, and the Trustees.
- Ensure fundraising team leads are provided with data insights and analysis to facilitate data-led planning of fundraising activities. Provide post-activity analysis in order to contribute to the department’s continuous improvement of its fundraising activities
- Ensure GDPR and PECR compliance in data processing
- Streamline and develop robust data systems and processes within the Fundraising team for inputting data to Salesforce as we grow
- Coordinate and implement training on the use of the CRM for Fundraising, including creating and maintaining process notes and training documentation
- Manage the recording of Gift Aid Declarations in Salesforce, and work with the Senior Data & Supporter Services Manager to assess options for claiming Gift Aid through a database process
- Lead on developing and delivering a process for providing data exports to support fundraising activity
- Work with the fundraising team to ensure their needs and the needs of each donor group are supported and systematically met by Salesforce. Work closely with the Info Centre and Finance team.
- Oversee use of our bulk email service provider (ActiveCampaign) within Fundraising, ensuring that all processes are compliant
- Maintain oversight of data being processed across Fundraising and develop our data architecture in line with business needs
- Keep abreast of developments in data and fundraising
- Maintain contemporary knowledge regarding best practice and regulations within the fundraising sector
- Perform any other relevant duties as required within the team
As an employer committed to Equal Opportunities, we will assess applications in line with these criteria that we consider either as being essential or desirable in this role.
- Experience of data management and maintenance using a relational database and of managing the database in a supporter focused environment
- Experience of developing new data structures to meet changing requirements, plus an understanding of data management in a fundraising environment
- Able to understand and communicate technical concepts to non technical stakeholders
- An understanding of financial reconciliation processes and the role of a CRM in effectively managing income processing
- Ability to act proactively to improve business data processes
- Excel to an advanced standard, as well as Microsoft Word, Outlook and PowerPoint
- A good understanding of GDPR and PECR and their application within a fundraising environment
- Line management experience
- Experience of managing Salesforce in a fundraising environment
- Experience of setting up and managing supporter journeys
- Experience of project management and delivering outcomes on time and on budget
- Experience of training users in use of a CRM
- Experience of managing Gift Aid claims through a CRM
- Experience of creating reports for a range of business users
- An interest in the impact of food waste on the environment
- An interest in food poverty and it’s causes
Competencies and behaviours
- Enthusiastic approach
- Desire for change and ability to adapt
- Excellent attention to detail; methodical and organised
- A commitment to equality and inclusion
- Curiosity and empathy with FareShare’s mission and strategy
- Hybrid / Flexible working, with regular UK travel
- 28 days’ annual leave + 8 bank holidays
- Employers pension contribution
- Employee Assistance Program
- Interest free bicycle purchase loan scheme
- Season ticket loan