Job Title: Policy and Compliance Director (Safeguarding Focus)
Location: Remote / Home-based in Manchester, UK
Type: Volunteer position: 2-6 hours per week
About SPEAK Manchester: SPEAK Manchester is an upcoming community-based organisation dedicated to fostering connections, language learning, and cultural understanding among refugees, migrants, and locals in Manchester. We are passionate about creating an inclusive and supportive community that empowers individuals to thrive in their new environment.
Job Overview: As we prepare to launch SPEAK Manchester, we are seeking a dedicated Policy and Compliance Director with a focus on safeguarding to join our team. This role will be responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing policies, procedures, and measures to ensure the safety and well-being of our participants and volunteers.
- Review, and update safeguarding policies and procedures to align with local laws and regulations, ensuring our organisation maintains a strong commitment to safety and protection.
- Establish clear guidelines for safeguarding within the organisation, focusing on best practices for the protection of vulnerable individuals.
- Provide safeguarding training and resources for volunteers, participants, and other team members to create a culture of vigilance and safety.
- Oversee compliance with safeguarding policies and procedures and regularly assess and report on their effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the Community Engagement Director to ensure safeguarding measures are implemented during all sessions and activities.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for safeguarding concerns and incidents, managing cases with confidentiality, sensitivity, and compassion.
- Liaise with external safeguarding authorities and organisations when necessary to report incidents and ensure legal compliance.
- Contribute to a culture of inclusivity, diversity, and respect within SPEAK Manchester and actively promote safeguarding in all aspects of our work.
- Develop, review, and implement other policies and compliance measures in accordance with local laws and regulations to ensure the smooth operation of SPEAK Manchester.
- Attend board meetings to provide policy and compliance updates, offering insights into potential areas for improvement.
- Strong commitment to safeguarding and a deep understanding of its importance in community organisations.
- Knowledge of safeguarding legislation, procedures, and best practices, particularly in a community and language learning context.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to handle safeguarding concerns and provide guidance and training to others.
- Proven experience in policy development, implementation, and evaluation, particularly in safeguarding or related areas.
- The ability to manage sensitive situations with empathy and discretion.
- Strong organisational and analytical skills to ensure efficient safeguarding operations.
- A collaborative mindset, working closely with other team members to create a safe and inclusive environment.
How to Apply: If you are passionate about safeguarding and excited to contribute to the development of SPEAK Manchester, please submit your CV and a cover letter detailing your motivations and relevant experience.
SPEAK Manchester is an equal opportunity organisation. We welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds and experiences.
By joining SPEAK Manchester, you'll be part of a team dedicated to creating a welcoming and supportive community for all our participants and volunteers. Your work will play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and well-being of the vulnerable individuals we serve. We look forward to receiving your application.