We are seeking a Project Worker who is self-motivating and energetic, with experience and heart for vulnerable people leaving prison. She/he will be confident within a prison setting, use interpersonal skills to engage potential clients, be a source of information and encouragement to visiting volunteers and develop relationships across prison and probation departments.
Change for Good Community Chaplaincy Limited (CfG), a registered charity since 2012 and fully active since 2014, is a volunteer mentoring charity that works across London supporting prison-leavers before and after their release from prison and as they resettle in the community. We do this through our ‘through the gate’ work, volunteer mentoring, liaising with many organisations and support groups across the criminal justice sector (see www.changeforgood.info).
We are looking for a Project Worker to join our small team at a very exciting time of growth for our charity. The last 2 years has seen Change for Good go from a mentoring project in HMP Wandsworth to an innovative resettlement charity serving 4 prisons, our Next Chapter community project and mentoring relationships across London.
While our office is currently at HMP Wandsworth, the Project worker will be required to travel to various locations across London each week.
Those who have lived experience of being in prison are encouraged to apply. The role is subject to full prison clearance.
The work will include:
- Being a source of information on what prison organisations/services are available to clients and volunteers
- Identifying those who can gain from our support, engaging them, assessing needs and risks
- Matching clients to volunteers, tracking progress
- Enabling peer support group(s) and their development
- Building and maintaining relationships with Prisons, Probation and other key stakeholders
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience of working with offenders and ex-offenders in prison or in the community
- Confidence in engaging one-to-one, communicating what’s on offer while making an informed assessment of suitability
- An understanding of the criminal justice system (or homelessness, addiction, mental health, community work etc) and the role of befriending / mentoring in enabling change for good
- Resilience to work effectively in a challenging environment: in prison and outside, with those who have left prison
- A personal faith (a genuine occupational requirement)
Those who have lived experience of being in prison are welcome to apply. The role will require full prison clearance.
Please contact Recruitment@changeforgood.info for further details of the post and application forms. Please note that CVs will not be accepted unless accompanied by completed application forms.
Interviews for shortlisted applicants will be held in Wandsworth on July 20th 2022