Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The International Rescue Committee UK is part of the IRC global network, which has its headquarters in New York and London. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
IRC UK was established in 1997 to support the organisation’s global activities and particularly to diversify its donor base and be able to better advocate with policymakers on behalf of the people we serve. Since its establishment IRC UK has grown rapidly and now comprises approximately 180 staff.
In Europe, the IRC also has offices in Berlin, Bonn, Brussels, Geneva, South Korea and Stockholm.
The Purpose of the Role
The UK Mass Market team’s mission is to inspire the British public to financially support the IRC to help people impacted by conflict and disaster. Having grown overall revenue by 750% since 2020, and with significant growth targets and ambition set in our 5 year plan, this is a key leadership role in a high performing team focused on excellence, with significant opportunity to lead on change and drive impact.
The main purpose of the role is to support the Head of Mass Markets in generating long-term sustainable growth and developing a diverse and supporter-centric fundraising model, all whilst ensuring activities are in line with our supporter’s needs and expectations.
As the Acquisition Marketing Manager, you will work with the Head of Mass Markets to develop and deliver the acquisition strategy for the UK market, and plan and deliver the operational aspects of the programme, supported by an Acquisition Marketing Executive. You will be responsible for significantly growing the supporter base and income by optimising our digital-first cash and regular giving programme and expanding into new products, channels and audiences. You will respond to emergency appeals led by IRC, and as a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee, ensuring speed to market and maximum revenue are prioritised at all times.
Scope and Authority
The post holder will have the authority to make decisions regarding acquisition operations and to make recommendations regarding strategy and long term financial planning.
Responsibility for Resources:
This position will manage and develop 1 full time member of staff and 1 contracted digital marketing apprentice, with plans to expand the team over the remaining years of the strategic plan. This position will also manage agency relationships and consultants. The post holder will be accountable for income targets of at least £1.6m and expenditure budget of at least £1m.
Key Working Relationships
Head of Mass Markets, UK
Retention Marketing Manager
Prize-Led Fundraising Manager
Data and Analytics
Financial Planning and Analysis
Comms, Digital Engagement and Creative Studio teams
Mass Market equivalents in other markets e.g., Sweden
Martech Systems & Platforms teams
Fundraising consultants, agencies, and other key suppliers
- Support the Head of Mass Markets UK in the development and implementation of IRC-UK’s acquisition strategy
- Plan, deliver and oversee multi-channel acquisition activities, including revenue generation, audience priming and lead gen, being accountable for all activity produced on time, in budget and within departmental strategic objectives
- Manage the annual acquisition planning and budgeting process, advising the Head of Mass Markets UK on new investment opportunities, and ensuring all activity and project work is aligned with strategic objectives and balanced against team resources
- Deliver emergency appeals both as IRC and as a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee, review and develop processes and collaborate with other departments and the DEC to ensure speed to market and maximum revenue during activation
- Maintain the monitoring and reporting framework for Acquisition activity and associated KPIs that show the performance of the Acquisition programme and strategy
- Continuously assess and improve our core business and actively diversify of our channel and product mix, alongside exploration of audience profiles that enable us to reach new segments of the UK public with meaningful propositions and messaging
- Manage and develop the Acquisition Marketing Executive and the Digital Marketing Apprentice
- Model leadership behaviours and support the Head of Mass Markets UK in developing a team culture of high performance, continuous improvement and constructive feedback
- Work closely with the Retention marketing manager to develop a seamless progression for new donors and prospects into further cultivation
- Collaborate with equivalent colleagues in other national markets (Germany, Sweden, South Korea, USA) to ensure all activity is coordinated and maximised
- Work closely with the creative studio to develop content that actively demonstrates our commitment to DEI guidelines and is appropriate for the UK strategy and audience
- Work collaboratively with digital engagement and communications colleagues to maximise fundraising and engagement opportunities.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Substantial experience of direct marketing and individual giving, with a proven track record of successfully planning and delivering a multi-channel, multi-product programme with corresponding KPIs and reporting frameworks
- Detailed understanding of the digital fundraising environment including channels such as Facebook, Google and YouTube, advertising tactics and conversion rate optimisation
- Experience modelling 5-10 year revenue forecasts for one-off and recurring revenue business models
- Experience of managing an annual budgeting and quarterly reforecasting process
- Comprehensive understanding of audience segmentation, analytical modelling such as LTV and use of insights to drive strategy and performance
- Experience of working in a fast-paced, high-performing and multi-discipline team, and of managing staff and developing talent
- Experience and understanding of creative process and relationship with brand identity through different channels and audiences
- Knowledge and understanding of fundraising legal frameworks, including GDPR and best practice
- Experience of taking new products and propositions to market. Experience working under an established product development or innovation framework would be a strong advantage
- Experience working in an emergency-led organisation, and knowledge of the Disasters Emergency Committee would be an advantage
- Experience working for a centralised, international organisation would be a strong advantage
Skills and Qualifications:
- Driven and proactive with a solutions-based attitude and the ability to motivate a team
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to manage, influence and negotiate with stakeholders at all levels
- Commercial mindset, with the ability to set short and long-term strategic objectives and financial targets
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with a constant focus on innovation in order to develop the UK acquisition programme
- Numerate with excellent data analysis and interpretation skills
- Excellent verbal and written English and the ability to translate complex programmatic information into compelling fundraising messaging, as well as high quality business writing for proposals and reports
- Excellent organisational skills, especially the ability to manage and prioritise a complex, varied and substantial workload
The application deadline is 30th June 2022.
IRC UK strives to be an equal opportunities employer. IRC UK is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
IRC UK welcomes applications from all candidates, including underrepresented groups and refugees who have the right to work in the UK.
IRC UK will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application and/or interview process, and for essential job functions if appointed to a role. Please contact us if you may need such adjustments.