Head of Communications & Campaigns
35 hours per week
£48000.00 – £52000.00 PA dependent upon experience
Hybrid working – 2 days per week from office in Central London
Are you an expert at repositioning brands? Can you help Mothers’ Union reimagine how we talk about ourselves and ensure the right message is heard by the right audience? Do you want to shape the future of a 150 year old Charity at the same time as raising the voices of some of the worlds most marginalised communities to fight against poverty and injustice?
Are you a confident omni-channel operator - this role has a broad remit, so you will need to bring demonstrable experience of both offline and online communications channels.
If your answer is yes then read on as Mothers’ Union would love to hear from you
Mothers’ Union (MU) is a Christian women-led, volunteer movement founded in 1876, with a membership of over 4 million worldwide in 84 countries, some 45,000 of whom live in the UK and Ireland. Based on Christian fellowship, members express their faith through action in their local communities, aiming to create a world where every individual can reach their full potential, by stopping poverty, injustice and violence.
Overview of the role:
- Develop, implement and evaluate a multi platform communications and campaigns strategy.
- Update and share our impact with the existing membership and proactively engage with people who have no relationship with Mothers’ Union; To grow awareness, support and membership.
- Manage internal and external communications and provide communications advice, crisis management, media support and training.
- Develop and oversee multi-channel digital marketing and public engagement campaigns and projects, working alongside the policy and fundraising team members.
- Lead the strategic development of communications activities to develop key stakeholder partnerships, supporting fundraising and policy objectives.
- Create and manage a clear communications channels strategy ensuring that all audiences are defined and that channels are maximised for the optimal outcome.
- Support the team to continually improve content gathering and build the storytelling plan across the organisation, ensuring an ethical approach that adheres to the safeguarding policy.
- Write and deliver promotional materials and publications for the membership and wider needs of the Charity.
- Lead on campaigns that will help achieve policy goals – working with the small communications team and wider staff team, to build content that can be used on the website, social media and press (includes Budget management).
- Forge strong working relationships with other organisations whose campaigning priorities align, and work with them and to push for policy change.
- Write articles and blogs, create podcasts for our website and external publications, around our policy and campaign focus.
- Working across the Charity, develop multi-channel communications strategies to share our impact, events, income generation and campaigns with a goal of securing high quality media coverage and profile.
- Manage the reputation of Mothers’ Union through crisis communications planning, working closely with the Director of Fundraising, Communications and Retail.
- Responsible for the development and leadership of internal (membership as well as staff team) communications plans and functions across the organisation.
- Ensure that the strategic development of our brand is effectively led and managed, building strong, collaborative relationships with internal partners and affiliated Mothers’ Unions as well as with our external suppliers.
- Grow the Charity's profile, credibility and influence through the implementation and management of our key brand messages.
- Responsibility for the Mothers’ Union’s long-term communications strategy, objective setting and budget planning.
- Continue to develop clear measures of success for communications activities and continually monitor, evaluate and report on progress.
- Direct line management of the Communications Officer and the Digital Marketing and Communications Officer, plus consultants and freelancers as required.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested.
- Exceptional ability, understanding and experience of the digital communications landscape.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including strong ability to write at speed for different audiences and channels, and in editing and proof-reading, as well as ability to clearly and effectively negotiate changes with technical experts, authors and designers.
- Excellent “news sense”, the ability to identify compelling stories that will inspire and engage target audiences.
- High level of ability to analyse and interpret complex information and present this in a simple and easy to understand way.
- experience of devising and using a range campaign tactics (both online and offline) and evidencing the effectiveness of these through detailed monitoring processes.
- Exceptional interpersonal and networking skills and ability to build good working relationships with a wide range of people and colleagues and members at all levels.
- Adaptable and flexible with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; a “can-do” attitude and excellent problem solving skills.
- Experience of developing and implementing multi-channel communications plans, including to support advocacy, influencing and relationships with members and funders.
- Experience of working in a communications function in an international development, campaigning against gender based violence or in a Christian setting.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of the Christian community in the UK (preferably worldwide), and ability to provide expert advice to guide colleagues in engaging effectively with church leaders and Christians across the Anglican Communion and beyond.
- Experience of successfully developing and delivering initiatives and resources designed for a Christian / church context.
Mothers’ Union operates a hybrid working model, with a minimum of 2 days per week in the Head office based in Westminster, London. This role may require some UK travel and may require limited International travel (max 2 weeks in any one year).
Contract Type and Hours
Full time, permanent position with a 12 week probation period. 35 hours per week. The role will require out of hours communications cover on a rota basis.
We will consider the option of job share for this role.
The closing date for applications is 25th June 2022. Due to the number of applications we receive, we may not be able to individually respond to each applicant. If we do not get in touch with you within 4 weeks from the application deadline, then unfortunately you have not been shortlisted for this position. However, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to reduce the application window should the role be filled.
Mothers’ Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to create an inclusive environment for all employees.