The circular economy concept has gained enormous traction globally in recent years, as both a compelling vision for an economic model that creates value without depleting finite resources and, importantly, as an actionable framework for systems solutions and transformation.
Sitting at the forefront of the ascendancy of circular economy, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation through thought-leadership and mobilisation of global industrial leaders, governments and other systems actors has demonstrated the power of the framework to drive transformational change and deliver scaled impact. Circular economy is now endorsed and embraced by thousands of leading businesses, governments, cities, institutions, and educators around the world.
Our approach is distinctive, and the impact achieved to date is encouraging, however it is very clear that much more needs to be done in order to drive transformation at the scale and pace required to address critical global challenges.
We are well positioned to scale our impact and have set ambitious objectives for 2030. To support that ambition, we have an exciting new opportunity for an innovative and ambitious experienced fundraiser to join our team. Working closely with the Philanthropy Team leader, you will bring a creative, entrepreneurial and experienced approach to securing major grants and donations from philanthropic organisations and individuals (UK and international). You will be adept at gathering insights through a variety of approaches, identifying and qualifying potential funders and developing successful funder relationships.
This role will require experience of leading or making an active contribution in securing major grants/donations, identifying, accessing, and bringing new funding relationships to maturity in all respects, supporting the development of high-quality proposals with Foundation delivery teams, and taking responsibility for the quality management and development of these relationships.
Role and responsibilities:
As a key member of a small and highly effective fund-raising team, you will report to the Philanthropy Team Manager with responsibility for:
- Developing new funding relationships, securing substantial unrestricted grants and donations for the Foundation and across a range of projects.
- Proactively identify and qualify potential funders through a variety of approaches including research, networking, and collaboration with project teams.
- Engage with potential funders and organisations leveraging all appropriate opportunities to develop strong and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Contribute to the development of the organisation’s approach, capacity, and capability to meet its funding needs: contributing fundraising expertise, supporting the development of the team, and delivering on multiple sustainable funding sources.
- Shape strong and compelling proposals and reports together with the project teams.
- Presenting proposals through presentations, conversations, and informal and formal written formats.
- Foster and maintain external funding relationships with HNW individuals and organisations to deliver multi-year funding, including for example contract management, and high quality written and financial reporting.
- A minimum of 5 years fundraising experience, with a proven track record of securing substantial grants and other funding for charities and across multiple sectors.
- A successful history of leading or influencing complex projects and evidence of turning that complexity into simple and compelling narratives.
- Ambitious, entrepreneurial, highly motivated and solutions-focused.
- Confident public speaker and excellent networking skills.
- Comfortable with working and leading through ambiguity and change.
- Strong financial and budgetary skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of the current circular economy debate and associated landscape would be highly desirable.
What we do
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation develops and promotes the idea of a circular economy. We work with, and inspire, business, academia, policymakers, and institutions to mobilise systems solutions at scale, globally.
Our mission is to accelerate the transition to a circular economy.
Our vision is a new economic system that delivers better outcomes for people and the environment. Business models, products, and materials are designed to increase use and reuse, replicating the balance of the natural world, where nothing becomes waste and everything has value. A circular economy, increasingly built on renewable energy and materials, is distributed, diverse, and inclusive.
Please apply with CV and covering letter to:
Barbara Calland (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Desired starting date: ASAP
Salary package: Up to £45k plus generous holiday allowance (25 days plus discretionary extra days leave) generous parental leave; enhanced pension options/private health scheme after 6 months; wellbeing programme.
Location: UK based, but regular attendance in Cowes, Isle of Wight is expected. Some international travel.
Our commitment to you
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment and providing a working environment free from discrimination. Job applicants will receive equal treatment regardless of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.