Volunteers are at the heart of everything we do here at SSAFA. The Head of Volunteer Experience will lead a vibrant and forward-thinking Volunteer Experience Team, working to continuously improve the experience of everyone who chooses to volunteer their time with us. This is a unique opportunity to work with a relatively new team to shape and improve the ‘SSAFA volunteer experience’ working to develop the whole volunteer journey, from recruitment and selection, to onboarding and training, through to reward and recognition and everything in between. This is a pivotal and exciting time to join our organisation, as SSAFA seeks to lead the sector in good volunteering leadership and management.
About the team
You will work closely with the Deputy Director of Volunteering to deliver the new Volunteering strategy and will be responsible for leading the Volunteer Development and Experience teams. You will also work collaboratively with the Volunteer Operations team, and the other departments within SSAFA to improve every aspect of the Volunteer Experience.
We are looking for someone with:
- An unwavering belief in the benefits of volunteering; for our organisation, volunteers, beneficiaries and the community.
- A strong commitment to equality and diversity. Someone who seeks to build teams that consist of a wide range of unique voices, ideas, backgrounds, cultures and experiences, so that our organisation can be the very best at what we do.
- A track record of developing an effective programme of volunteer recruitment, induction, management and celebration.
- Experience of setting volunteering quality frameworks and implementation.
- Examples of working in a geographically dispersed organisation, engaging and collaborating with volunteers and colleagues.
- Clear understanding of legislation and regulation relating to volunteering and volunteers.
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude, demonstrating SSAFA’s values of understanding, fairness, commitment and courage.
SSAFA, the Armed Forces charity, has been providing practical, emotional, and financial support to our Forces and their families since 1885. Last year our teams of volunteers and employees helped more than 79,000 people in need, from Second World War veterans to those who have served in more recent conflicts or are still currently serving, and their families.
SSAFA understands that behind every uniform is a person. We are here for that person – any time they need us, in any way they need us, for as long as they need us.
Diversity and Inclusion at SSAFA
SSAFA exists to support a diverse range of beneficiaries within the armed forces community, and we believe diversity within our teams is key to ensuring we can deliver our services effectively. We thrive on differences and believe it is critical to our success as a worldwide charity. SSAFA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that seeks to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We therefore encourage applications from all genders, races, religions, ages and sexual orientations, as well as parents, veterans, people living with disabilities, and any other groups that could bring diverse perspectives to our business.
SSAFA is committed to using the Disclosure & Barring Service to ensure we, as an employer, safeguard those we serve.