The Conservation Collective - Finance Manager
The Conservation Collective, a growing global network of local environment foundations, is seeking a finance manager to be an integral member of a small and fast-paced, entrepreneurial, team.
The role will be to maintain and develop a sound and secure system of financial management and control, and carry out financial administration for the Conservation Collective.
- 4 days a week
- Remote (UK based)
- Salary negotiable dependent on experience c. £40-45,000 (pro-rata £32,000 - £36,000)
- Reporting to Executive Director
About the Conservation Collective:
The Conservation Collective (CC) funds solutions to protect the environment, restore nature, and safeguard against climate change. The CC UK charity is a network which incubates, launches, and supports local foundations to channel new streams of environmental funding to support the most impactful grassroots projects.
Environmental philanthropy faces two key challenges: persuading people to direct money to the biggest issue of our time, and getting that money to the most effective environmental initiatives. We have a proven and winning formula for both. Our growing network has already raised and distributed millions of pounds, and we're just getting started...
As the demand for our model increases around the world, this growing team is recruiting a finance manager.
The role and key responsibilities:
- Leading on day-to-day financial operations for both the main charity and the trading subsidiary, liaising with accountants to produce statutory accounts, and lead on financial planning, working closely with the Exec Director.
- Working closely with the team to advise on the continuous improvement of financial and operational processes to ensure the organisational maturity required to deliver strategic objectives.
- Maintaining financial software system (currently Xero) for the main charity and for the local foundations.
- Modelling for future charging structures in order to add membership contributions as a fair and representative income stream.
- Processing invoices and expenses on a monthly basis and quarterly VAT return.
- Recording all income in the excel file, and in due course in the database, Salesforce. This includes donations via cheques, BACs and DonorBox, as well as processing gift aid.
- Allocating income to correct CC entity and carry out monthly reconciliations, including transfers and multiple currencies.
- Recording and overseeing annual /regular donations to the CC and issue timely invoices to donors.
- Working to improve the format of financial reporting within the organisation including analysis to support CC’s activities and fundraising, working closely with the CC team.
- Creating and managing budgets/cashflow for the CC, its projects and partnerships. Advising member foundations on budgetary queries.
- Producing monthly/bi-monthly income vs expenditure reports and other reports as required.
- Developing and maintaining programme and project reporting and management systems as required.
- Assisting and supporting the team with the preparation of financial reports for funding applications and reports to funders.
- Supporting the Exec Director in developing board papers in advance of all board and board committee meetings, including updating our management accounts, developing cash flow forecasts and preparing necessary papers.
- Managing the relationship with the auditors for the submission of accounts & annual return to Charity Commission.
You’ll be the right person for this job if:
- You are a qualified accountant, or in the process of becoming one
- You can take financial data from a variety of sources (e.g. accounting software, bank, budget spreadsheets) and present it to a non-financial audience in a format
- that delivers key financial and risk information to enable good decision making
- You are organised, methodical, strong on detail, and able to map out deadlines and plan ahead
- You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- You are interested in people (working in a small, supportive team)
- You are interested in the issues and approach our charity addresses
- You are able to communicate effectively with finance and non-finance colleagues at all levels
- You are able to provide financial analysis to support key decision-making – to wrangle financial data into usable insights
Key relationships: you will work closely with CC’s exec director, network director, auditors and directors of local foundations.
Contact Jade Brudenell with a CV and cover letter: