Advocacy and Government Relations Officer
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic Advocacy and Government Relations Officer to join an Advocacy & Government Relations team to support and implement an effective programme of advocacy work across the UK, with a focus on Westminster. You will join the team on a permanent basis working 35 hours per week and in return you will receive a competitive salary of up to £32,929.76 per annum plus excellent benefits.
Please note although this role is remote, the charity is operating a system of hybrid working and visits to the National Cat Centre will be required from time to time. This can be discussed further at interview stage.
You will be working for the UK’s leading feline welfare charity with a nationwide network of adoption and homing centres, volunteer-run branches and charity shops. During 2020, despite all of the challenges, they helped 126,000 cats and kittens. That's the equivalent of around 345 cats a day!
The Advocacy & Government Relations team leads for the charity on influencing decision makers and those whose policies, practices and decisions affect cat welfare across the UK. The small, highly motivated team works to influence legislators (national and devolved governments), professional organisations and corporates. The team’s work has included publishing ‘The Time is Meow: A cat welfare action plan for Westminster’ following the 2019 election, launching a “Purrfect Landlords” campaign to encourage landlords to allow cats and calling for compulsory microchipping of cats across the UK. The team has successfully influenced the law on commercial kitten sales in England and worked with the Scottish Government to regulate cat breeding and rehoming activities.
Responsibilities of the Advocacy and Government Relations Officer:
As the Advocacy & Government Relations Officer, you’ll be focusing on activity at Westminster with responsibility for drafting briefings and consultations, engaging with key political and external stakeholders, maintaining internal and external contact databases and monitoring and responding to external policy developments. You will assist with evaluation of the risks or benefits of planned legislation, regulatory or reputational changes which may impact on the welfare of and best interests of cats, and help to construct corresponding strategies and messaging. You will also be responsible for working with the Media, Web, Publications, Digital and Income Generation teams.
What we’re looking for in an Advocacy and Government Relations Officer:
- Experience of advocacy, public affairs or influencing work (which may include campaigns), ideally in Westminster
- Experience of policy work and research
- Experience of dealing with high profile/ VIP individuals e.g. Ministers, MPs, MSPs, MLAs, MPs, Government Officials, Local Councillors and officers, corporate executives; professional organisations
- Proven ability to multi-task and work independently on own initiative, accurately and under pressure
- Experience of effective use of social media and the internet in an advocacy/campaign context
- Confident communicator with good written and oral skills; and great people skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
What we can offer you:
- Salary of up to £32,929.76 per annum
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- contribution pension scheme
- Life assurance scheme
- Range of health benefits
- Employee Assistance Programme
- and more
Join us as our Advocacy and Government Relations Officer and know you are helping to make a real difference to cats and kittens across the UK!
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications or CVs that are emailed to us directly.
Closing date: 09 February 2022
Virtual interview date: 16 and 17 February 2022
Other roles you may have experience of could include: Public Relations Officer, Advocacy Officer, Public Affairs and PR, Public Affairs and Advocacy Officer, UK Government Relations Officer, Campaigns Officer, Communications Officer, Media Officer, Press Officer, PR Officer, Senior Press Officer, Media Relations Officer, Senior Media Officer, PR Officer, Communications Manager, Advocacy Team Leader, Communications and Media Officer etc.