We’re currently looking for a committed and enthusiastic Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees to help guide and advise us on financial concerns.
Share’s story began in 1972, when a group of disabled people came together as a self-help group to improve their employment and training opportunities.
Our charity will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2022. Over the years, Share has grown and evolved, guided by the changing needs of people with learning disabilities, autism, physical disabilities, and those with mental health challenges. We’ve responded to new opportunities delivering learning, living and wellbeing programmes to help disabled people realise their potential, have greater choice and independence, and live happier, healthier lives.
We provide services at our main site in Clapham Junction and the beautiful Share garden in Tooting. We also have temporary facilities in a satellite centre on Brixton Road and we’re developing outreach services in the community. Every year we spend just over £1m supporting around 125 people from SW London, with most coming from Wandsworth and Lambeth.
It’s been a challenging and difficult time for us all recently and Share has played a key role in supporting disabled people in the fight against COVID-19. Our trustees have an important role to play as Share continues to evolve and looks to the opportunities and challenges that the future will surely bring. We continue to work for a world where disabled people are fully included and everyone is treated equally. We believe everyone has something to offer others, and we build on people's individual talents, interests and abilities.
We need a financially astute Treasurer, with accountancy qualifications, knowledge of the law governing charity finance and issues facing charities today, and experience of working with finance at a senior level in the private, voluntary or public sector. The Treasurer works closely with Share's Chief Operating Officer and the Chief Executive, advising the Board of Trustees on financial matters. The Treasurer chairs the Finance Sub-committee, which normally meets bi-monthly.
We’re looking for people with or without Board level experience, and we welcome applicants from all ages and backgrounds. In order to enhance the diversity of our board, we would particularly like to hear from people from a diverse ethnic background, LGBT, younger people, disabled people or carers of people who use Share’s services, and other marginalised groups.
1. On behalf of the trustee body to ensure that Share’s financial obligations are met.
• To make sure that it operates within the legal and financial guidelines set out in current legislation and its own standing orders.
• To ensure that adequate financial controls are in place and that the organisation operates within a sound financial framework.
• To ensure all financial dealings are accounted for.
• To ensure that grants and other funds received for specific purposes are appropriately spent.
• To work with and support the Head of Finance and Operations, in order to be satisfied that the financial information presented is comprehensive and accurate.
• To identify any additional financial risks facing the organisation (i.e. not identified by the Head of Finance and Operations) and recommend appropriate action.
2. In conjunction with the Chair/Vice Chair to lead the trustee body in ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of the organisation.
3. In conjunction with the Chair/Vice Chair to optimise the relationship between the trustee body and its staff/volunteers.
Trustees are also invited to attend Share’s various events which may include an annual conference, open days and a student awards event.
How to apply
Please fill the application form located on the vacancy page of our website (click on Apply to visit the vacancy page) and return it to Valentino at email@example.com.
For a full role description, please consult our website.
We’re happy to hold virtual/phone meetings with the Chief Executive and the Chair of the Board in order to present the role and the necessary details to our applicants. To arrange this please contact Valentino Ferro on 0207 801 9829.