About Emergency Nutrition Network (ENN)
ENN’s vision is that every individual caught up in a nutritional emergency, or suffering from malnutrition anywhere in the world, gets the most effective help possible. ENN undertakes knowledge management, research and advocacy to support national governments, civil society, UN, donor and academic organisations. Through these collaborations we support agencies to implement evidence-based nutrition programming, predominantly in low- and middle-income countries and in fragile and conflict affected states.
The ENN is a well-established and highly respected UK-based, registered charity (established in 1996) working to reduce undernutrition globally. ENN is governed by a Board of Trustees and has its head office in Oxfordshire, UK. ENN is financially supported by bilateral donors, international non- governmental organisations and United Nations agencies.
We’re proud that in our 2021 Employee Engagement Survey we showed high levels of staff engagement; over 95 percent of our staff agreed that they are treated with fairness and respect at work and that they trust and respect their manager.
You will be ENN’s first Communications and Digital Manager joining us as we embark on a period of digital transformation across our projects to deliver more strategic impact; you will contribute significantly to the creation and delivery of this.
You will be passionate about our vision and helping us to demonstrate and further our impact and expand our network and influence. Working with internal and external stakeholders you will ensure communications across all our channels are current, high quality and build engagement and accessibility with our audiences. You don’t have to be an expert in our sector but we are looking for someone who can orientate themselves with the technical content of our work. Ideally you will have experience of translating highly technical content into engaging communications without losing critical meaning.
You will have experience of successfully developing and enhancing a range of communications channels from traditional print media to digital platforms (websites and social media) to expand uptake, impact and improve user experience.
Terms and Conditions
Hours of work: Full time (37.5 hours per week) – part time may be considered
Type of contract: 12 months fixed term (with the possibility to extend)
Location: ENN’s Head Office in Kidlington, Oxfordshire, OX5 (Note: In line with ENN’s current policy regarding COVID-19 and the associated UK government advice, all staff are currently working from home. Our return to office working is likely to be gradual so you may be asked to work from home up to two days per week once the office reopens.)
Holidays: 25 days plus UK bank holidays increasing by one day p.a. after two complete years of service to a maximum of 27 days p.a. (pro rata). Paid office closure days between Christmas and New Year
Pension: Auto-Enrolment to ENN scheme with a generous Employer contribution of 5%
Salary: £35,000 to £45,000 per annum depending on experience (pro rata if part time)
The role will coordinate communications, digital and marketing work towards achieving maximum impact and consistency across ENN’s broad nutrition portfolio. The role will also ensure that ENN can communicate effectively internally and externally, make visible what we do, and illustrate our contributions to the nutrition sector. The role will bring knowledge and expertise together collaboratively with ENN’s diverse team to develop and implement effective communications strategies and plans.
Strategy, Planning and Management
- Design, co-create and deliver effective communications strategy and implementation plans, both at an organisational level and covering specific technical workstreams and programmes, aligned to organisational strategy, direction and values
- Coordinate ENN’s branding, internal and external communications and visibility
- Lead work with relevant teams and ENN’s partners to create and deliver digital communications, media and campaign programmes
- Understand, segment and expand ENN’s current audience and networks and, in collaboration with others, increase visibility, presence and engagement with ENN’s network and audience
- Develop stakeholder relationships to further relevant opportunities, including contributing substantially to the mapping and development of funding opportunities and proposals for ENN
- Maximise opportunities to drive brand awareness, raise the profile of ENN and engage with press and media where relevant
- Develop, measure and report on metrics, KPIs or other insightful analytics to inform decision making, evaluate impact and contribute to future strategy
- Manage the delivery of multiple projects to agreed specifications and deadlines
- Manage a Communications and Digital Budget, delivering value for money and taking responsibility for associated reporting, control and analysis
- To advise senior colleagues on relevant communications and digital areas and manage brand development and implementation, liaising with the Management Team and Board of Trustees
- Engaging with, and developing new, ENN ”ambassadors”, influencers and friends to further our communications and impact
Operations and Delivery General
- Design and deliver successful new digital communication campaigns and/or recommend changes to improve existing
- Set up and maintain a communications calendar and drive a coordinated approach to communication across the whole portfolio
- Work with others to ensure we maximise the visual impact and consistency of our products, including internal, external technical and funding products (reports, proposals, etc.)
- Ensure engagement programmes meet best practice standards and align with activity across other channels
- Work with internal teams to manage a holistic reporting framework across all digital and campaign activity
- Work with suppliers and internal teams to embed clear processes, ways of working and guidance to deliver ENN’s communications strategy successfully
- Ensure internal digital procedures comply with appropriate standards and legislation and support the OFD to develop, monitor and maintain a digital governance model and guidelines which are fully compliant
- Develop digital testing programmes, ensuring that lessons learned are shared across the organisation
- Risk and crisis management including out of office hours emergency contact for media issues
- Examine relevance and impact of different media (e.g. print media, blogs, podcasts etc) and further develop these channels in a way that establishes and promotes ENNs strategy, values and identity
- Improve colleague and, where relevant ENN partner, awareness, knowledge and understanding of best practices in communications, digital and marketing including use of appropriate media levers
- Develop and implement training programmes for internal colleagues on use of all communications media around standards, best practices and house styles, including use of social media
- Keep abreast of digital innovations and drive digital transformation by developing test strategies and training programmes as necessary to embed shared best practices
- Manage the relationship with the email service and other relevant platform providers as relevant to communications and digital work
- Manage all ENN social media accounts and coordinate their effective use to drive visibility and impact
- Work with internal teams to consolidate use of different digital platforms and review opportunities for cross-channel use and other optimisation
- Oversee the management and redevelopment of ENN’s websites (ennonline.net and en-net)
- Manage relationships with internal stakeholders and relevant external partners and suppliers
- Scope requirements to inform platform development and integration plans
- Review performance across all relevant platforms to ensure optimisation, recommending alternatives where appropriate
- Maintain templates and ensure that digital templates are optimised for use across devices
- Work with copy editors, proof-readers, designers, developers and external agencies to create new, or update existing, templates and content
- Provide specific and tailored input and support to ENN’s flagship publication Field Exchange (FEX) on style, brand, design and presentation of content, both in print and online
- Provide copywriting support across all communication mediums as needed
- Research and write creative briefs for digital publication
- With others, manage relevant databases and supporting activities
- Develop and apply guidance to ensure content is engaging and consistent with brand, house styles and tone
- In collaboration, provide appropriate creative writing and/or generate and review copy across all forms of communication
- Act as ENN ‘gate-keeper’ for all social media content
- Develop and manage a bank of content including stories and images for use in ENN’s publications, products, monitoring and evaluation work and media usage, and manage ENN’s use of others’ brands, logos, images and media libraries
- Coordinate publication of all marketing and publicity materials to ensure optimised impact
- Curation of aligned communication approach across all ENN’s workstreams
- Focal point for all ENN marketing, communications and digital issues
Analytics and reporting
- Actively use omnichannel and multichannel reporting, analysis and insight to help develop and optimise campaigns, incorporating other monitoring & evaluation outputs where relevant
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Relevant first degree or equivalent qualification or experience
- Knowledge and experience of planning, creating and publishing content across digital channels
- Demonstrable experience of creating and implementing successful communication and digital strategies that have expanded audience
- Experience of communications and marketing with non-UK audiences
- Experience of developing communications for traditional media
- Experience of testing and evaluating communications and marketing activity
- A proven, relevant and active professional network of contacts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to adapt communication style to situation
- Excellent team-working skills and ability to work collaboratively and autonomously
- Proficient in SEO, Google Analytics, content marketing and social media strategies
- Experience in web content management, web design and database management
- Experience in managing external communications and digital service providers (including proofreaders, copy-editors, creatives / designers, translators, print publishers and web)
- Excellent personal and professional integrity, strong cross-cultural awareness, demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Experience designing and delivering training in communications, marketing and digital
- Copy-editing / proofreading experience
- Understanding of GDPR regulations relevant to communications and marketing and ability to implement
- Familiarity with the International Committee of the Red Cross Code of Conduct and it’s relevance and application to ENN’s work
- Understanding of intellectual property rights in relation to digital images and artworks
- Experience working in international development or related sector
- Experience in website project management and implementation
- Knowledge of competitive procurement processes
- Design experience
The Communications and Digital Manager will report to the Operations and Finance Director (OFD).
Eligibility to work
Must be entitled to work in the UK at the time of application. No relocation package is offered for this role.
ENN is committed to diversity and inclusion, and to building a culture where every staff member and volunteer is recognised and valued as an individual. We actively encourage applications from a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
P lease submit a Cover Letter (no more than 1 page) and CV no later than Sunday 30th January 2022 with ‘Communications and Digital Manager’ in the subject line.
Early applications are advised as we reserve the right to conclude the process before the closing date if a suitable candidate is identified. Please include your preferred working pattern details in yourapplication, if not full time.