International Students House is seeking an Internal Auditor to independently evaluate the effectiveness of its risk management, control and governance processes, and advise on best practice.
About International Students House (ISH)
ISH is a vibrant student centre offering accommodation, social and support services for resident and non-resident British and overseas students. In addition, International Students House encompasses commercial meeting and event spaces, a live music venue and bar, to support its charitable aims.
To provide an affordable "home from home" for students of different nationalities and diverse cultures, supported by a substantial scholarship programme, with the opportunity to live and learn together in a safe and secure community of mutual respect, understanding and international friendship.
- Identify and assess potential risks to ISH’s operations and assess whether the existing Risk Register procedures adequately reflect these.
- Review the adequacy of controls established to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and best practice guidelines, policies, plans, procedures, and business objectives.
- Carry out efficiency assessments to assess whether ISH is achieving Value for Money (VFM).
- Carry out ad hoc appraisals, investigations, or reviews requested by the Finance & Audit Committee.
To ensure independence, the Internal Audit volunteer is ultimately responsible to the Chair of the Finance & Audit Committee. The Finance & Audit sub-committee meets four times a year, usually in February, May, July and December, and this is when the Internal Auditor may present reports to the committee.
Hours and Contract Period
The time commitment is approximately 2 days per month, working on premises and/or remotely. The appointment is for a 3 year term.
Skills, Qualities and Experience
- A background in accounting or auditing i.e. degree/qualification in Internal Auditing, Accountancy, Finance, or Risk Management is required.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of previous Internal Audit experience, ideally within the Not-for-Profit sector, including auditing financial records, policies and internal functions.
- Experience in dealing and making presentation to Board members
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- High levels of integrity and ethical standards
- A keen eye for detail to successfully scrutinise data
- In-depth knowledge of accounting software and other IT systems and software
- Ability to interact with co-workers and form good working relationships at all levels