Job Title Policy & Research Manager
Department Policy, Governance & Insight, Students’ Union UCL
Reports to Policy, Governance & Insight Manager
Responsible for Policy & Campaigns Coordinator
Policy & Research Coordinator
Purpose of the job
- Develop and deliver a programme of policy research and insight to understand the views and experience of our members on key topics affecting student life.
- Produce a series of reports, publications, briefings, articles and thought leadership to provide evidence and insight to support the Union’s influencing priorities and campaigns.
- Work with our officers and other SU teams to develop events and communication materials to disseminate and share the outcomes of the research and insight programme.
- Lead on strategic policy projects to support the wider influencing, education and campaigning activities of the Students’ Union.
About the Union:
Students’ Union UCL is an inspiring organisation that is committed to providing a fantastic experience to the 48,000 students at UCL. We aim to give students a transformative experience whilst studying at the University, supporting them to navigate the challenges of university life and empowering them to be exceptional leaders in their future lives and careers.
We are currently experiencing a period of rapid growth and renewal. We have an exciting new vision to become one of the best student organisations in the world.
As a charity we employ over 80 full-time staff and deliver a wide range of services and representative functions for students.
To be the best part of the UCL student experience and to be one of the best students’ unions in the UK and internationally.
We’re here to help students...
- Make more of their time at UCL.
- Get outstanding support when they need it from our advice and welfare services.
- Have strong influence with UCL and the wider community locally and nationally
- on issues of importance to their lives as students
- Experience more at university and develop strong social connections and communities through our societies, activities, sports, volunteering service and events.
- Feel at home in our excellent spaces.
Student Driven, Inclusive, Inspiring, Fun and Bold.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Commission, supervise and undertake large scale quantitative, qualitative and desk-based research on key issues related to student life.
- Analyse research outcomes and prepare reports, briefings, articles and other policy content in a form that can be used to influence decision-making and external policy debates.
- Work with student officers, senior managers and the Marketing & Communications team to plan, develop and publish a series of high quality, eye catching and authoritative research reports on key aspects of the student experience.
- Plan, develop and deliver a programme of effective policy roundtables and events to support the dissemination of the Union’s research programme.
- Offer guidance to the Union’s Leadership Team on shaping and influencing our policy and direction with regards to improving the student experience.
- Monitor and analyse various datasets from across the Union to inform our lobbying and influencing efforts.
- Monitor and analyse relevant evidence, trends, and national policy developments and datasets to identify student issues.
- Working with line manager, lead on key strategic projects undertaken by the team.
- Understand University decision-making structures and culture, and ensure student officers and representatives have the information required to engage successfully with decision-makers.
- Provide advice and support as necessary for Union Executive and Policy Zones.
- Working with the Union’s Leadership Team, provide advice, guidance and support to officers in developing, coordinating and promoting our campaigning and influencing objectives.
- Organise the contribution to University decision-making bodies, formulating reports and consultation responses.
- Manage and monitor budgets and expenditure for relevant representation and democratic activities, ensuring financial procedures are adhered to.
- Effectively manage and supervise team members, encouraging a high performing team and strong learning and development culture.
- Ensure the health and safety of our members, staff and visitors through the completion of training, risk assessments, safety checks, inventories and event planning in line with our health and safety policy.