Mercy Ships is a faith-based charity, bringing safe surgery to people in Africa who have no access to healthcare or money to pay for it. Over 40 years, Mercy Ships has visited more than 55 developing nations. We are passionate to serve those in need and to leave a lasting impact for the future of those we serve. Our volunteer crew represent our organisation onboard through excellence and diligence. 16 Mercy Ships offices around the world work on fundraising, recruitment and public relations.
In 2020 Mercy Ships launched the Global Mercy, the first purpose build, civilian hospital ship. The Global Mercy will be on her way to Africa in 2021 with a PR-stop in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Our newest vessel will more than double our impact in providing surgical care for the most vulnerable and medical training for health care professional.
Hours of Work/Contract: Fixed Term 12 months – Part time (approx. 15 – 25 hours per week)
Salary: £31,000 - £38,000 pro rata + excellent benefits
Overall Role Purpose:
The organisation in entering an exciting and ambitious season of growth, implementing the five-year strategy with aims to more than double total income. With the Philanthropy Team playing a key role, securing growth of around 300% across all income streams. This role will work closely with the major donor fundraisers, to identify, research and track individuals, companies and foundations for the purposes of fundraising and engagement. To create profiles, monitor engagement and track actions with the aim to understand the funders’ motivations and ensure alignment with the mission of Mercy Ships.
- Identify and evaluate the giving potential of prospective and existing major donors.
- Undertake research into potential major donors, producing detailed and personalised profiles which provide insight into their wealth, philanthropic preferences, networks and other factors which may influence their giving, in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
- Actively participate in donor pipeline discussions with the fundraising team, being responsive to their needs and priorities in identifying, engaging, asking and stewarding donors.
- Produce short briefing notes for CEO, Trustees and other key volunteers attending Mercy Ships events.
- Monitor news sources to identify issues of interest to Mercy Ships UK, including managing relevant subscriptions to sources of wealth information.
- Assist in the maintenance of information on the Salesforce database, ensuring that it is clean, clear, up-to-date and legally compliant.
- When required, to undertake ethical due diligence checks on Mercy Ships UK’s donors and potential donors and provide briefing material to inform decision-making about whether to pursue an opportunity.
Closing Date: 9am Monday 13th December.
If you would like to apply for this position and join us in transforming the lives of those in desperate need, please click the apply button and attach your CV and covering letter, it will be sent automatically to us. A job description is attached to help with your application.
Please note we will be reviewing applications throughout the process and reserve the right to close the vacancy early”.
Mercy Ships UK is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all individuals and value diversity in our workforce.
No agencies please.