Role and responsibilities
The Global Engagement Officer will play a crucial role in engaging with diverse global stakeholder groups and online communities to proactively communicate ongoing Oversight Board activity and policy positions, and to address emerging trends and challenges outside the United States as they arise. They will bring a strong understanding of the complexities of human rights and freedom of expression and will be adept at communicating complex policy positions and the outcomes of specific content-related cases to varied global audiences.
- Identifying and mapping key external stakeholder groups on an ongoing basis.
- Developing and delivering a global engagement strategy to meet evolving stakeholder needs.
- Proactively engaging key stakeholders to:
- Explain the Oversight Board structure, functions and purpose,
- Reiterate Oversight Board case decisions to stakeholder groups.
- Brief internal stakeholders on trends and considerations observed in external stakeholder discussions.
This role is expected to last no longer than 12 months with an anticipated start date of mid-December 2021.
Skills and Experience
Successful candidates are liable to have the following skills and experiences:
- Degree educated or equivalent.
- Strong experience and expertise in stakeholder engagement and communications, for example within a public affairs or public relations role.
- Knowledge and understanding of international approaches policy setting, international and regional human rights and mechanisms and of recent developments at the international level on content moderation.
- Experience working and engaging with policymakers, civil society and non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience of working with multiple countries and/or diverse multinational workplaces.
- Knowledge of multiple languages preferable, French or Spanish would be an advantage.
- Experience coordinating a range of external stakeholder activities including high-level meetings, events, workshops and other multi-stakeholder forums.