Visitor Experience Officer (Part-Time)
Location: Exe Estuary, Devon
Salary: £18,250 - £20,246 pro rata
Benefits: Pension, 26 days Annual Lea (pro-rata), Life Assurance
Hours: Permanent, Part-Time post at 22.5 hours per week
We have an exciting opportunity for a motivated ‘people-person’ to join our team as our Visitor Experience Officer, to lead the development and delivery of our visitor experience and visitor engagement work around the Exe Estuary and further afield in Devon.
About RSPB Exe Estuary
The five RSPB Exe Estuary nature reserves are a wonderful set of wetlands famous for their wintering waders and wildfowl. The main habitats are wet grassland and intertidal habitats such as mudflats and saltmarsh, and the species that inhabit them (brent geese, black-tailed godwits, lapwing, teal, wigeon, curlew and greenshank, amongst other wintering and passage waders and wildfowl) are part of the sites’ SSSI, SPA and Ramsar designations. The reserves sit as part of the wider Exe Estuary landscape.
What’s the role about?
Our reserves offer a huge opportunity to engage with people and connect them to nature, particularly being near to the urban centre of Exeter. We do this through a variety of family, self-led, guided and VIP-style events. We also have ‘the Lookout’, a comfy hide extension at Bowling Green Marsh which is our centre for face-to-face visitor engagement. Our visitor operation and infrastructure support our engagement work to gain visitors’ vital support which is much needed to continue and grow the conservation work of the RSPB. This post will allow you to make a big impact for nature conservation.
This role can be home-based although will require regular travel to reserves.
Key results areas for this role include:
- Developing and running our profitable events and activity programme.
- Monitoring and achieving against agreed targets and KPI’s for income generation, quality of visit and footfall targets for the reserves.
- Ensuring the reserves are delivering the highest standards resulting in a high-quality visitor experience.
- Using our social media platforms to increase footfall, promote events and the site and work of the RSPB.
- Recruiting and leading a team of volunteers to deliver a joined up, coherent and high-quality visitor experience for all visitors to the reserves.
- Contributing to the leadership, planning and efficient day to day running of the visitor operation that contributes to the overall success of the reserves.
The five Exe Estuary nature reserves are our focus for our visitor engagement work, however, the team also look after two nature reserves near Teignmouth (Labrador Bay and Ashill) and two in North Devon (Isley Marsh and Chapel Wood), and you will have the opportunity to work across these reserves too. The role, along with the Visitor Operations Manager, also supports the delivery of visitor experience work on our neighbouring Aylesbeare Common reserves. The high-performing RSPB Dart’s Farm shop is managed in the Visitor Operations team and part of the Visitor Experience Officer role will be to look for opportunities to link the shop with our nature reserve work and visitor experience.
You will be part of a small and friendly team of five staff and up to three full-time residential volunteers at the Exe Estuary. You will also be supported by a fantastic team of events volunteers.
This is a great opportunity to lead the development, integration, and delivery of visitor experience at the Exe Estuary reserves with the aim of creating a high-quality visitor offer that maximises support for nature and connects people with wildlife.
What do we need from you?
- 4 GCSEs at grades A-C and 2 A levels or equivalent.
- Be able to travel to remote locations without the use of public transport.
- Be able to work flexibly including weekends, bank holidays, school holidays, and some evenings and early mornings.
- Computer literate with excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Sound understanding of systems and procedures relevant to a commercial visitor operation.
- Working knowledge of visitor engagement techniques.
- Proven ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
- A team player who can motivate and inspire people.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to manage and respond to customer needs and feedback.
- Ability to maximise opportunities for visitor engagement and income generation.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships.
- Experience of managing and delivering against targets and KPI’s.
- Experience of developing and delivering a strong events programme
- Experience of analysing and interpreting data in a visitor experience environment.
- Experience of delivery a high-quality visitor offer.
- Successful experience of managing or supporting a team of staff and/or volunteers.
This role would suit a broad range of people. If you can do the work, please apply. We are flexible and support many different working patterns and arrangements according to the diverse situations of our team. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and are committed to having a team with a diverse set of skills, experiences, and abilities.
No agencies please.
Closing date: 7th November 2021 at 23:59
Interviews will be conducted on or around the 16th of November 2021.
The RSPB is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the button to be directed to our website