- To lead the Operations Team managers and specialists to deliver Mayhew’s ambitious strategy to help more animals in need through their intake, care and rehoming;
- To lead the design and development of new animal services, strategies and policies, ensuring the highest animal welfare standards, a customer-centric and needs-led approach, and promoting a culture of innovation and continuous improvement;
- To be an Ambassador for the values of the organisation and work as a key part of the Senior Management Team to deliver the overall Charity objectives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Key Working Relationships
Reporting to the Chief Executive, Trustees, Senior Management Team, Clinic Team, Income and Engagement Team
Direct Line Reports:
Head of Community, Head of Kennels, Dog Adoption & Fostering, Head of Cattery, Floating Care Staff, Night Care Staff, TheraPaws Coordinator
Animal welfare organisations, Animal care and welfare consultants, Students, Volunteers, Local community
Dimensions and Limits of Authority
- Authority to spend in accordance with the agreed budget.
- Authority to recruit and performance manage staff in accordance with Mayhew’s policies and procedures.
Strategy & Leadership
- Lead the Home and Community Team: motivating, developing and empowering staff and volunteers to achieve their full potential, ensuring an inclusive and supportive environment, with a strong commitment to collaborative working alongside the rest of the organisation.
- Contribute to Mayhew’s strategic development through collaborative membership of the Senior Management team. Role model strong leadership behaviours to support and reinforce our leadership culture, centred on strategic thinking; a commitment to learning and development; collaboration and results; and the unlocking of staff potential.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement, insight and innovation, to ensure the Team is well placed to adapt and respond to changing circumstances and new opportunities.
- Maintain awareness of changes in the external environment which are likely to impact on the work of Mayhew and translate these into changes to policy, practice and service delivery.
- Identify, develop and implement strategies and new or uplifted services and ways of working. Seek to increase impact, improve processes and make use of technology to deliver greater value for our customers and supporters, and help dogs and cats in need in new and innovative ways.
- Build and maintain a strong network of external stakeholders and explore opportunities for Mayhew to deliver increased charitable impact through partnership working with Local Authorities and the Police, as well as with other animal welfare and rescue organisations, leading to the establishment of strategic alliances and potentially merger and acquisition opportunities,
- Monitor and report regularly on operational strategy and performance to the Senior Management Team and the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare, manage and monitor an annual expenditure budget ensuring best value in the delivery of services and activities.
- Oversee the effective operation of Mayhew’s centre, including the provision of excellent service to all customers and the overall visitor experience. Ensure teams are appropriately structured, skilled and managed to meet animal and customer needs demand. Ensure the development of specialist knowledge and skills to ensure high quality direct animal care and to support customers and pet owners with a range of animal behavioural advice and training.
- In conjunction with the Facilities and Fleet Officer, ensuring a safe, well maintained, sustainable, welcoming and professional environment for animals, volunteers and customers.
- Oversee the Adoption, Fostering andCommunities functions, working with the Volunteer Coordinator and reception manager, to add demonstrable value both in direct animal care on site and through our fostering and Communities programmes, and across the breadth of Mayhew’s activities and services
Animal Health & Welfare
- Maintain an operating model that delivers exceptional welfare to all dogs and cats in Mayhew’s care, ensuring adherence to Standard Operating Procedures. Proactively monitor and respond to key shelter metrics, including animal occupancy, throughput rates and length of stay.
- Work closely with the Head Vetto ensure the effective management and monitoring of infection control and the health and welfare of all dogs and cats in Mayhew’s care.
- Ensure appropriate management of the identification and handling of dangerous dogs and cats in line with legislation, with best practice in animal welfare and with safety of people as priorities.
- Champion an ethical approach to decision making, including around the euthanasia of dogs and cats in our care, with clear decision frameworks and protocols.
- Ensure Mayhew’s compliance with all relevant animal welfare legislation and codes of practice, including standards produced by the Association of Dogs and Cats Homes.