Spinal Research is an international research charity working to end paralysis for people with spinal cord injury.
Their mission is to give hope to those 50,000 people in the UK and 3 million worldwide living with paralysis because of a spinal cord injury. After funding many of the key breakthroughs in the field during the last two decades, they are now on the cusp of turning some of these incredible discoveries into meaningful treatments to restore function to people living with paralysis, and their world-class research relies on dynamic fundraising.
The Director of Fundraising will take responsibility for developing and executing a strategy to increase voluntary and fundraising income from an average of £1.75m to £3m per annum in the next 3 years, and £5m in the next 5 years. Key growth areas include Major gifts (trusts, foundations, high net worth individuals), Regular Giving, Legacies, Corporate Partnerships and Voluntary Fundraising.
Other duties include:
- Enhance existing fundraising streams within mass participation, community & trusts, alongside stewarding existing legacy and major donors. Lead on the development of new fundraising products and activities, such as disability sport experiences, paid content, hackathon platforms, blockchain/crypto and gamification. Drive digital and technology transformation of the fundraising function, ensuring that campaigns are data-driven and optimised through automation and the donor experience is constantly evolving. Improve cross-selling opportunities across fundraising channels. Maximise marketing and PR opportunities to support the overall income generation strategy. Provide first-class leadership to the fundraising team, ensuring effective leadership to enable and motivate team members to operate to their full potential. Contribute effectively to the overall management and strategic direction of Spinal Research, working closely with the Chief Executive as a member of the Executive Team.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate will have a track record of success in the following areas:
- Previous experience of leading and developing a fundraising function.
- Evidence of maximising marketing and PR opportunities to enable fundraising growth.
- Co-ordinating a wide portfolio of fundraising campaigns and events, including mass participation, community and major donor events.
- Development and stewardship of high-value gifts from Trusts and Foundations, High Net Worth Individuals and Corporate Donors.
- Experience of leading digital transformation within a fundraising function.
- A creative and strategic approach to developing new business areas, with a strong track record of diversifying fundraising income in a previous role.
- Knowledge and/or interest in the clinical research landscape, particularly relating to developing treatments for Spinal Cord Injuries.
- Strong knowledge of relevant fundraising legislation (Charities ACT, Data Protection, Tax, VAT Regulations, Institute of Fundraising Code of Practice).
What's on Offer
Salary £70-75,000 dependent on experience
25 days holiday plus UK bank holidays
8% non-contributory pension scheme
Health insurance & life assurance schemes
Cycle to work scheme
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.