Refuge Worker (Part Time, 12 month temporary contract with possibility of becoming permanent)
Welwyn and Hatfield, Hertfordshire
If you have a background in supporting women who have experienced domestic violence, this is an amazing opportunity to help provide life-changing services to women and children in your community.
Welwyn Hatfield Women's Refuge and Support Services (WHWR) is a vital resource for women and families, offering a safe haven away from domestic violence and abuse.
We provide ensuite bedrooms to women and children to allow them to start building a new life away from an abusive or violent relationship or home environment.
Our refuge is a private, secure, women and children only space. Here, we provide accommodation, practical and emotional support and help with benefits, schooling and even healthcare to make sure that our residents view their time with us as positive and affirming.
We’re looking for a Refuge worker to join our dedicated team, working 30 hours per week, Monday – Friday (six hours per day). This is a 12 month contract which has the potential to become a permanent position.
- Salary of £25,481 pro rata
- Welcoming and supportive work environment
- Make a positive difference to women’s lives on a daily basis
This is a brilliant opportunity to join a team of caring experts who are passionate about supporting women and children who have experienced exceptionally hard situations.
We will support you to build on your existing expertise while you help local women and children to pursue their goals and live the lives they choose.
So, if you are looking for the opportunity to make a real difference as part of our collaborative, friendly team, we want to hear from you.
As a Refuge Worker, you will support the day-to-day running of our refuge and facilities, as well as managing our residents’ wellbeing.
You’ll provide practical and emotional support that empowers our residents and enables them to make their own decisions and take control of their lives.
In this important role, you will:
- Carry out weekly key work sessions and daily wellbeing checks
- Ensure that risk assessments, support plans and risk management and safety plans are in place
- Provide support and advice to women via our helpline
- Ensure the safety and confidentiality of service users and other staff
- Record and share accurate, factual information with colleagues
- Participate in a 24/7 on-call phone rota for refuge residents
To join us as a Refuge Worker, you will need:
- Experience of working with women, or women and their children, who have experienced domestic violence
- Resilience to working in an emotional and stressful environment
- Previous experience of liaising with voluntary and statutory agencies
- An understanding of the issues facing women and children who have been victims of domestic violence, including physical, emotional and sexual abuse
- Knowledge of current legislation regarding the welfare of children and young people, family law, housing/homelessness, welfare benefits and immigration law as they pertain to domestic violence and basic health and safety
- A relevant professional qualification (or equivalent experience)
- A full driving licence and access to your own transport
Please note, only female applicants will be progressed as being female is deemed to be a genuine occupational requirement under Schedule 9, Paragraph 1 of the Equality Act 2010.
Other organisations may call this role Refuge Support Worker, Women’s Support Worker, Independent Domestic Violence Advisor, IDVA, Domestic Violence Support Worker, Domestic Abuse Support Worker, Support Worker, Social Worker, or Social Care Worker.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
Webrecruit and Welwyn Hatfield Women's Refuge and Support Services are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
So, if you want to make a positive difference as a Refuge Worker, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.