Contract type: Full time
Remuneration: £60,000 - £70,000
Location: Central London
Reporting to: Head of Product
Working at SH:24
First off, thank you for considering a role with us!
SH:24 is a pioneering online sexual and reproductive health service, delivered in partnership with the NHS. We make it easy for people to self-manage their sexual and reproductive health online by providing free STI test kits, contraception & treatment, information and advice - 24 hours a day. We’ve won a host of awards and industry recognition for what we do, and we’re happy to say that our reach and services offered are expanding every day.
We are not-for-profit and passionate about delivering discreet, convenient and clinically safe sexual health services. Our vision is to make it easier and faster for people to access sexual and reproductive health services, no matter where they live; we’ve been doing it since 2013. We’re also proud of our community and the people who work for us; those who have helped us shape a company that puts our users at the heart of everything we do by designing services that are easy to use, easy to access and easy to understand by all that need them.
We are looking for an experienced Design Lead to work in our Service Development team to oversee and champion design across our international family of brands; SH:24, Fettle, and Jojo. The role will incorporate product design, UX, and branding, as well as promotion and safeguarding of great design across all touchpoints (tangible and intangible).
You will be working within our experienced Service Development team, and closely with the Marketing team. This role will help lead the development of a more substantive design function at SH:24, whilst sharing and embedding learning across the business.
SH:24 has already had a dramatic impact within the UK and internationally, with online sexual health services now delivered as standard across the UK, and SH:24 delivering over half a million STI tests every year.
We are looking for someone who shares our vision for a world where everyone has access to sexual and reproductive health services, and with the drive, energy, and tenacity to turn our plans into reality.
What We Need From You
At the heart of it we’re looking for someone to oversee and lead design intent across our brands, products, systems, and communications, upholding quality and helping us to deliver our continued commitment to being a design-led organisation.
You’ll own, protect, and creatively evolve our brand guidelines and design system to ensure all assets are on-brand and meet the need for their intended users and purpose – ensuring outputs are beautiful to look at, and to use.
You’ll manage a split of 60% creative design and 40% design management, setting the standard for how products, services, and communications are designed and developed to meet a well understood set of user needs and expectations.
The role will also include the following activities:
- Ensure that design insights are shared and implemented well, and that there is a demonstrable balance of evidence and insight
- Formally representing us publicly at workshops, events, and conferences
- Helping to identity, recruit, and nurture standout design talent (we envision growing our design team to at least two over the course of the next 12 months)
- Prioritise and manage the workload of a growing design team
- Review work regularly through 1:1s and group sessions (making time to focus on the development of team members)
- Collaboratively review and optimise existing internal design processes / systems and introduce new agile processes, inclusive of user testing
- Work across the business to gather, validate and execute requirements - from printed collateral to new service development
- Work closely with the Product Owners and Developers to continuously improve the efficiency of working processes, from new major discoveries to minor optimisations
- Be responsive to new developments within sexual and reproductive health, commissioning, digital markets and technology, looking to ensure design enables our processes and activities to remain innovative, accessible and relevant
- Communicating thinking and working processes in order to upskill colleagues and get them involved
We’re looking for someone with the following experience:
- A relevant design degree
- Demonstrable history as a senior designer delivering high-quality, user-centred design projects from end-to-end
- Experience leading, growing and nurturing agile creative projects and design teams
- Highly skilled user of design software such as the Adobe Creative Suite, Figma/Sketch, and digital prototyping and user testing tools
- Experience designing within or for the health sector
- Experience and confidence in leading creative workshops, defining user research and testing plans, and delivering conference sessions
- Experience collaborating within a multi-disciplinary team of designers, researchers, front and back-end developers
- Experience or good awareness of respected content design and management principles and best practices (for example, GDS Design Principles)
We’re looking for someone with the following skills:
- A substantive understanding of service design and user research (including ethnographic studies), synthesise and analyse findings.
- Managing expectations of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work openly and collaboratively
- Confident communicator
- Compassionate, inspiring, and thoughtful leader
- Good listener, honest critic, and imaginative problem solver
- Self-organised and disciplined, suited to working in a fast-paced scale-up
- Ability to keep calm and think rationally under pressure
- Ability to react quickly and efficiently to change
- Drive and determination to always get the job done to the highest standard
You will also need to have an awareness of what is means to work within healthcare, to be responsible for delivering content that protects and supports users, particularly those who may be more vulnerable.
Finally, and most importantly, you will love to learn, share knowledge and help others. The team at SH:24 is great because we provide the support to each other for everyone to perform well.
What You’ll Get From us
We are always interested in upskilling our employees, and are flexible in ways to do it: be it courses, books, onsite or remote learning with a colleague - whatever suits the situation best. If there is a particular skill or product you would like to work on and improve, we’ll always try to accommodate you.
We’re also keen to allow the team to work in the way they want - you can choose the OS of your machine, your chair, standing desk, dual monitors etc. If there is anything you need don’t be afraid to ask.
As well as remuneration in the region of £60-70k based on experience, SH:24 provides a number of other benefits, including 25 days of annual holiday (in addition to the days between Christmas and New Year), truly flexible working, excellent pension contributions and life insurance.
Our common values underpin everything we do as employees at SH:24. They show 'how' and 'why' we enjoy working together. We feel these values represent our staff and will help you understand what it means to be a part of SH:24!
Respect: Understanding, respecting, and supporting one another is fundamental to us.
Acceptance: We enjoy each other’s company, we’re open minded and accepting of people’s differences.
Empathy: We are proud to positively impact people’s lives. We love to hear from our users and always want to do better.
Reflection & Initiative: We think critically and thoughtfully and are committed to trying out our ideas.
Conscience & Creativity: We have a strong social conscience. We explore big issues and we’re driven to respond creatively.
Drive & Enthusiasm: A commitment to grow, succeed and celebrate together.
Equality and Diversity
As an employer, SH:24 is committed to inclusivity.
We want to increase representation of currently under-represented groups to make SH:24 more diverse.
Our aim is to build an inclusive team, where everyone is able to be themselves at work and feel supported, empowered, valued, respected, fairly treated and able to achieve their full potential.
As an inclusive employer we will not tolerate discrimination.
The interview process comprises of three stages:
- 30 minute ‘get to know you’ telephone interview with a senior member of the SH:24 team.
- 90 minute face to face interview, with a small panel, where we will ask you to present a prepared exercise.
- 30 minute follow-up interview with a senior member of the team.
The interview panel from SH:24 will be composed of colleagues from the current Service Development team and representation from other teams from the wider organisation.
How to Apply
If you are interested in joining our wonderful Service Development team, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.