Race Equity Lead
Flexible location, UK
Sported is the UK’s largest network of community sports groups and we exist to provide the skills and funding needed so our network can become sustainable and deliver services to those most in need.
It has never been a harder time to be a young person growing up in the UK. Poverty, crime and mental health issues coupled with youth unemployment and COVID-19, have compounded already disadvantaged communities and individuals and widened inequalities.
We support the thousands of community sports groups that seek to remove barriers from young people’s lives to allow them to thrive against the odds.
Thanks to funding from The National Lottery Community Fund, Sported is appointing three new exciting roles to create a step change in supporting the needs of our network through our new four year strategy.
As a result, we are now looking for a Race Equity Lead to join us on a full-time basis.
- Salary of £30,000 - £35,000 DOE
- 25 days’ holiday in addition to statutory Bank Holidays
- Flexible working arrangements, including working from home and flexibility around caring responsibilities
- A confidential counselling service
- Access to a Pension Scheme to give you peace of mind
- Virtual Diversity & Inclusion ‘Open Space’ every fortnight where the team support each other and educate on issues such as racism
- A Sported ‘Culture Club’ made up of six members of staff, who come together to discuss Sported staff culture, issues and promote innovation
- Cycle to Work Scheme to support our commitment to promoting healthy living
- Discounted offer for a 12-month Tastecard+ membership, giving you access to an array of discounts across food, shopping and entertainment
- Volunteer Days - two additional days of paid leave each year to volunteer for another charity or indeed our Sported members
- Up to five days of paid study leave for self-funded education/training
We’ve got an exciting vision, to enable young people to overcome barriers, and a clear mission, helping community groups and young people to thrive. We’re looking for those who share these goals to help us reach, include, and empower communities and enact change through sport and physical activity.
What’s more, our working environment is all about inclusion, support and getting involved and focusing on personal growth through investing in learning and development.
So, if ours sounds like the sort of place where you could thrive and our mission speaks to your mentality and mindset, we want to hear from you.
As our Race Equity Lead, you will spearhead our anti-racism work for both our Network and organisation. You will support and advocate for our members who are based in ethnically diverse communities and/or providing opportunities for young people.
Through our ‘Tackling Racism in Grassroots Sport’ report, one area of support already identified by Sported member groups, is the creation of an independent Black Leaders’ Network. You will facilitate the development of this Network through the identification and support of those with lived experience, external to Sported, who will receive a ring-fenced budget to establish it.
Alongside the new Strategic Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Lead, your role will also ensure anti-racism and allyship is a priority for the Sported network. You will aim to create positive, lasting change for young people currently experiencing racism in grassroots sport and physical activity.
To be considered as our Strategic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Lead, you will need:
- At least three years’ experience in a similar role, or demonstrable relevant experience
- Experience of driving EDI initiatives
- Lived experience of inequalities
- Knowledge of racial inequalities in the UK and the issues facing young people as a result
- Project management or co-ordination experience
- Experience of working with and understanding diversity data
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence and support stakeholders
Previous experience working or volunteering in a membership and/or network organisation would be beneficial to your application. A good understanding of the flowing would also be an advantage: the grassroots sports sector, sports EDI landscape and key individuals.
Experience of setting up projects or programmes from conception to delivery would also be desirable, as would a personal network and connections within the EDI sector and experience of working remotely.
Other organisations may call this role EDI Lead, Equality Manager, Equality and Diversity Manager, Diversity Manager, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, EDI Manager, or Senior EDI Officer.
The closing date for applications is 4th October 2021.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Race Equity Lead, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.