Strategic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Lead
Flexible location, UK
Sported is the UK’s largest network of community sports groups and we exist to provide the skills and funding needed so our network can become sustainable and deliver services to those most in need.
It has never been a harder time to be a young person growing up in the UK. Poverty, crime and mental health issues coupled with youth unemployment and COVID-19, have compounded already disadvantaged communities and individuals and widened inequalities.
We support the thousands of community sports groups that seek to remove barriers from young people’s lives to allow them to thrive against the odds.
Thanks to funding from The National Lottery Community Fund, Sported is appointing three new exciting roles to create a step change in supporting the needs of our network through our new four year strategy.
As a result, we are now looking for a Strategic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Lead to join us on a part-time basis, working 30 hours per week.
- Salary of £45,000 FTE (pro rata)
- 25 days’ holiday in addition to statutory Bank Holidays (pro rata)
- Flexible working arrangements, including working from home and flexibility around caring responsibilities
- A confidential counselling service
- Access to a Pension Scheme to give you peace of mind
- Virtual Diversity & Inclusion ‘Open Space’ every fortnight where the team support each other and educate on issues such as racism
- A Sported ‘Culture Club’ made up of six members of staff, who come together to discuss Sported staff culture, issues and promote innovation
- Cycle to Work Scheme to support our commitment to promoting healthy living
- Discounted offer for a 12-month Tastecard+ membership, giving you access to an array of discounts across food, shopping and entertainment
- Volunteer Days - two additional days of paid leave each year to volunteer for another charity or indeed our Sported members
- Up to five days of paid study leave for self-funded education/training
We’ve got an exciting vision, to enable young people to overcome barriers, and a clear mission, helping community groups and young people to thrive. We’re looking for those who share these goals to help us reach, include and empower communities and enact change through sport and physical activity.
What’s more, our working environment is all about inclusion, support, getting involved and focusing on personal growth through investing in learning and development. However, we are focused on continual improvement, which is where you come in.
So, if ours sounds like the sort of place where you could thrive and our mission speaks to your mentality and mindset, we want to hear from you.
As our new Strategic EDI Lead, you will drive equity, diversity and inclusion both internally and for our members to help them create positive, lasting change for young people currently experiencing inequalities.
Working closely with the whole Sported team, you will collaborate, advocate for and support our members to ensure inclusion is at the heart of community sport and physical activity.
You will line manage our disability project lead and new National Lottery funded Race Equity Lead, whilst growing our external EDI offer through new partnerships and projects.
As a member of our Strategic Leadership Team (SLT), you will also work closely with the CEO and Heads of departments to develop and implement a robust EDI strategy and action plan, proactively cultivating and driving an inclusive work environment.
To be considered as our Strategic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Lead, you will need:
- At least three years’ experience in an EDI role, ideally in a UK Wide organisation, or demonstrable relevant experience
- Line management experience
- Lived experience of inequalities
- Experience of creating and implementing an EDI strategy and driving EDI initiatives
- Experience of writing EDI related content for internal and external audiences
- Experience of designing and implementing projects and programmes that bring about lasting behavioural and cultural change
- Experience in diversity analytics and understanding diversity data
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
A good understanding of the grassroots sport sector, sports EDI landscape and key individuals in particular would be beneficial to your application, as would a personal network and connections within the EDI sector.
An understanding of designing and implementing inclusive recruitment strategies would also be an advantage, as would experience of working in a membership/network organisation. Experience of working directly on income generation activities would also be desirable.
Other organisations may call this role EDI Lead, Equality Manager, Equality and Diversity Manager, Diversity Manager, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, EDI Manager, or Senior EDI Officer.
The closing date for applications is 4th October 2021.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Strategic Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) Lead, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.