THE COLLEGE OF ST BARNABAS
Job Description for Assistant Treasurer
The College of St Barnabas, a charity based at Lingfield, Surrey, is seeking an honorary Assistant Treasurer to support the Treasurer in carrying out the responsibilities listed below. The charity provides a care home and sheltered housing for about 60 elderly Anglicans, many of whom are retired priests.
The College has a small management team responsible for all day-to-day activities, including the production of monthly management information, using in-sourced systems. The Annual Report is produced by the team in conjunction with the College’s auditors, who assist with its production in regulatory format. The financial systems and control mechanisms are commensurate with the resources and facilities available to a charity of this size, notably oversight controls. Hence the role of the Assistant Treasurer is mainly of an advisory and oversight nature, with some engagement in ad-hoc issues and projects. The role is unpaid.
The Treasurer’s main responsibilities (supported by the Assistant Treasurer) are:
- Membership of the College’s governing Council, chairing its Finance and General Purposes committee to monitor planned and ad-hoc operational and financial matters, including staffing, property/infrastructure and occupancy levels.
- Exercising general oversight of the College’s financial affairs.
- Engagement with the CEO who produces the draft annual budget, ensuring that it reflects reasonable commercial assumptions.
- Supporting the CEO on major projects e.g. significant property refurbishments and associated funding applications.
- Responding to urgent issues as they arise, notably any significant unanticipated income and expenditure matters or delicate staffing issues.
- Providing guidance and advice on financial systems and control mechanisms.
- Engagement with the auditors on the scope and focus of the annual audit, detailed review of the draft Annual Report, drafting the Treasurer’s report and taking the report to the College Council.
The Assistant Treasurer will be a member of the College’s governing Council and its Finance and General Purposes Committee. The Assistant Treasurer may be asked to deputise for the Treasurer on occasions and, in due course, may be invited to be the Treasurer as part of the College’s succession planning.
1st September 2021