Global Action Plan is a dynamic charity that tackles the root causes of environmental breakdown and health inequalities. We create movements centred around young people that mobilise government, business, the media and the public to play their part in solving our climate crisis.
Established in 1993 off the back of the “Earth Summit” in Rio, Global Action Plan UK was one of the early organisations to focus on the human solution to the climate crisis. Over our first 25 years we used research and behavioural science to design and deliver programmes and campaigns to encourage individuals to live more sustainably. Over the last three years Global Action Plan has transformed – (1) narrowing its focus to two major issues: air pollution and consumerism and (2) employing a 3 part strategy (see full job description for more on the strategy) that sees us leading advocacy and envisioning efforts alongside our individual lifestyle programmes - recognising and addressing the powerful systemic drivers and structures that influence what we as members of the public can do. This new targeted strategy has led to a doubling in funding and staff team. We are projecting further growth over the next 3 years as we scale up to tackle these huge and underserved issues.
This new Director of Philanthropy role is pivotal in establishing new philanthropic funding and long-term relationships for us during this period of exciting expansion.
Philanthropy is a largely untapped area for us. We have a small number of (£10-20k) HNW donors, some well-known. The vast majority of our funding comes from three sources: major trust/foundation grants; corporate partnerships/donations and public sector grants. This reflects the skills and backgrounds of our current fantastic fundraising team.
We are looking for someone ambitious and driven, someone excited to come in lead this area for GAP. From working with the CEO and Board to map out the role that philanthropic giving can play and how to harness connections we have, to developing a strategy to grow income to £1m/year and building the necessary team to deliver it; to working smoothly across the organisation to harness the skills of the wider team to create an amazing Donor experience.
Short term – 100day – deliverables:
- DEVELOP PHILANTHROPY STRATEGY: Initial review to identify and prioritise the opportunities and routes to secure significant resources from individuals. Work with fundraising team and CEO to develop a high level 3 year strategy and budget to realise these opportunities – present to the Board for approval as part of 2022-23 Business planning.
- MAJOR DONOR STEWARDSHIP: Establish relationships with our current major donors, include them in strategy development where appropriate and secure repeat gifts/uplifts.
Longer term role:
- Oversight and direction of Philanthropy strategy to increase gifts at all levels; reporting into the Board quarterly on progress
- Manage end-to-end philanthropic fundraising activities to successfully cultivate, solicit, secure, and steward major gifts and high value donations including:
- Developing and directing donor stewardship programmes
- Building and managing a personal portfolio of major gift donors and prospects
- Developing metrics to track progress and improve strategies at each stage of the process
- Ensuring that we have systems and processes in place so that all donor personal information, gifts and our use of them comply with appropriate regulations, data protection and Donor specification
- Recruit & manage Philanthropy team and oversee cross-organisation team activity related to Philanthropy i.e. working with marketing team to develop marketing strategies and collateral, working with the Development team on initiatives/campaign positioning for Donors
- Manage and grow our relationships with a small group of high-profile ambassadors (celebrities)
- Represent and be a spokesperson for GAP at important events and functions
Who we are looking for:
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong, compassionate leadership - The conviction, confidence and passion to inspire donors with the need for radical - not incremental – change.
- A love of relationship building - Excellence and enjoyment in building trust and strong working relationships whether internal colleagues or external leaders, influencers and donors.
- An engaging communication style - Ability to clearly and compellingly communicate messages to a diverse range of audiences especially senior decision makers, donors and funders
- Excellent writing and pitching skills - Skilled in developing and presenting powerful funding calls and in writing clear and compelling funding proposals and Donor communications
- An empowering management style - Coaching and collaborative team management style. Ability to co-create with and motivate team members whether direct reports or volunteers
People will describe you as:
Intrinsically motivated. Big picture thinking. Creative/entrepreneurial. Optimistic. A people person.
Professional fundraising, with a track record in closing both £10-100k and £100k-£1m gifts/accounts in senior high value third sector role
Major Giving / HNW annual giving vehicles – a good understanding of routes for major donor acquisition and stewardship, experience managing Major gift programmes
- Budget management - experience in developing and managing budgets at least at a department level with a good grasp of charity level finances.
- Strategy development and implementation – a track record in identifying opportunities, setting ambitions and developing plans to achieve them. Agility and flexibility to manage necessary changes to tactics whilst keeping a focus on priorities.
Desirable skills / experience:
- Major gift / High Value programme development: The planning and set-up of new acquisition/stewardship vehicles – clubs/boards/ambassadors etc.
- Celebrity/Talent/Ambassador stewardship: development of strategy and/or involvement in the recruiting, and management of ambassadors and spokespeople i.e. celebrities, social influencers
- Being a media spokesperson: speaking to the media confidently on behalf of your organisation and or campaign.
- Issue expertise: an understanding and passion for addressing our climate and ecological crisis and the many inter-related social justice issues.
Is GAP the right fit for you?
We are looking for someone who will enjoy the dynamic, fast paced and mission driven culture at GAP. We take great care to bring in people who reflect our values and who will thrive here.
For more information on what working for Global Action Plan is like, and to see the full job description, please visit globalactionplan.org.uk/jobs.