Job Description – Trusts and Foundations Officer
Reporting to: Senior Trusts and Grants Manager
Location: Deptford, London. Currently Remote
Hours: 35 hours Full Time
Salary: Circa £33,000
FareShare is the UK’s national network of charitable food redistributors, made up of 18 independent organisations. Together, we take good quality surplus food from right across the food industry and get it to almost 11,000 frontline charities and community groups. During 2020, we redistributed 113 million meals through our FareShare Regional Centres and our retail surplus model FareShare Go, reaching over 1 million people.
Hunger is a growing issue in the UK and while there is surplus food that is otherwise going to waste, we believe that this food should be used to feed people first.
The COVID-19 pandemic has shone a spotlight on the issue of food insecurity in the UK and with it, FareShare’s ability to get food to vulnerable communities nationwide. We are fortunate to benefit from the support of major retailers, the media, sports ambassadors and a groundswell of public engagement. As a result, there has never been a more exciting time to join an organisation at the heart of public consciousness.
FareShare has a dynamic fundraising department that has seen incredible growth in support over the past 12 months across Trusts & Foundations, Corporate Fundraising and Individual Giving. The pandemic has created an even greater need for FareShare’s work and during this time, we have doubled the amount of food distributed to support vulnerable people. Expanding our income streams is more crucial than ever to help fund our on-going activities.
FareShare’s Strategy & Vision
Vision: We have the vision of a UK where “No good food goes to waste”.
Mission: To use surplus, fit for consumption, food to feed those who are vulnerable in the UK by supporting front line charitable organisations that tackle the cause and not just the symptoms of food poverty.
Our Purpose: We are doers. We are a community. We change lives.
Passion – for our cause and the challenge that lies ahead
Ambition – to go the extra mile and drive the change that must happen
Respect – for ourselves, each other, our volunteers, our partners and our beneficiaries
Collaboration – it’s only by working with others that we can be stronger
Focus – on providing the best service possible so that we deliver and
achieve the most for our clients/customers.
As a Trusts & Foundations Officer you will help deliver our Trust and Foundations fundraising programme as we extend the reach of our work over the coming years to meet our ambitious targets.
The key focus of the role is:
- Managing and maximising an extensive warm portfolio of donors including six-figure multi-year funders, seeking to extend their support wherever possible through close relationship management.
- Researching, exploring and securing new business opportunities with an emphasis where possible on multi-year funding.
This role would suit a candidate with a good understanding of the charity sector and proven experience and success of fundraising from trusts and foundations along with a superb ability to write with flair and creativity, as well as the verbal presentation skills to match.
Main areas of responsibility
- Manage a portfolio warm trusts and foundations including several high value long-term funders to agreed fundraising targets
- Work closely with the Senior Trusts and Grants Manager, Head of Fundraising, FareShare senior managers and project staff to develop innovative and persuasive proposals aimed at extending the support of existing partners
- Build good working relations with trustees and key staff of trusts and foundations
- Thank funders promptly and ensure that regular progress reports and updates are received by supporters as and when required
- Develop creative and exciting stewardship plans to enhance the long-term relationship between FareShare and our funders
- Work to the fundraising cycle to identify new prospects through to securing new income
- Identify new potential funders and match them to FareShare’s work
- Prepare and submit high quality funding proposals and budgets in accordance with timetables and application criteria
- Maintain accurate records, analysis and reporting of new business secured
Administration & process
- Maintain accurate financial and client records (current and new business)
- Cascade knowledge and guidance to the Fundraising Assistant to support their management of a portfolio of low value trusts that contribute income year-on-year
- Complete analysis and activity reporting utilising and developing internal fundraising systems
- To work with the Head of Fundraising and the Fundraising Team to help deliver the annual Recognition Event for key funders and supporters across the whole of FareShare
- Support the Senior Trusts and Grants Manager and the wider team as required
- Represent the organisation at relevant forums, events and seminars
- Occasional work outside of regular office hours and UK travel
As an employer committed to Equal Opportunities, we will assess applications in line with these criteria that we consider either as being essential or desirable in this role.
- Voluntary sector experience with demonstrable success of managing relationships with trusts and foundations to secure multiple five figure grants
- Proven track record of identifying and securing new business funding
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with good copy writing and proof reading ability
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to connect with people from all walks of life, backgrounds and cultures
- Experience of creative proposal writing combined with the ability to demonstrate clear outcomes and impact
- Good research skills with experience of identifying quality new business leads
- Experience of preparing, manipulating and presenting budgets and able to interpret charitable financial accounts
- Proven ability to form good working relations, both internally and externally with people at all levels
- Ability to multi-task and work on own initiative to meet objectives and tight deadlines under pressure
- Excellent IT skills with a high working knowledge MS Office programmes
- Experience of using Salesforce or an equivalent Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system for fundraising
Values and behaviours
- A commitment to Equal Opportunities
- A passion and understanding of FareShare’s mission and strategy
- Flexibility of approach and a team player
- Forward thinking and willing to contribute ideas and opinions
- Willingness and ability to travel around the UK on an occasional basis
If you would like to apply for this role, please send a copy of your CV and a supporting statement showing how you meet the essential experience outlined in the person specification.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 19th September 2021
Interview will take place week commencing w/c 27th September 2021