Derby Cathedral needs dedicated resource to help shape the Cathedral’s approach to customer centricity. The role will lead and manage marketing and communication activities to support the Cathedral’s ambitions around audience development, fundraising and profile-raising and promote the Cathedral as a key arts, culture and heritage hub in the city. An understanding of market research, using customer insight and feedback to develop marketing programmes, is essential in supporting activities and projects.
The postholder will be part of the Cathedral’s Senior Executive Team and a member of a small group which is driving the Strategic Development Programme.
- Responsibility for writing and developing a marketing and communications strategy and plan for Derby Cathedral, in line with Cathedral vision and strategy.
- Responsibility for implementing Derby Cathedral’s marketing plan, with support from the Digital Marketing Officer, ensuring that activities are delivered within budget.
- To play an active part in delivering the Strategic Development Programme which will shape the future outcomes and vision of Derby Cathedral.
- Responsible for managing marketing budget and reporting on financial spend to Finance Committee.
- Effectively line manage the Digital Marketing Officer ensuring that digital marketing and social media outputs are delivered to plan
- Responsibility for producing and updating high quality marketing collateral managing design and print projects eg giving leaflets, information leaflets.
- Coordinate marketing campaigns for events, fundraising, working collaboratively with internal stakeholders to develop activity which are in line with the Cathedral’s strategy and objectives and ensuring all activity complies with the Derby Cathedral brand.
- Conducting market research to better understand our key stakeholder groups, using insight and customer feedback to shape campaigns and development work.
- Refine brand proposition and lead with the creation, development and implementation of a cathedral brand and style guide for communications.
- Explore and deliver relationship marketing activities for different customer segments
- Evaluate activity, ensuring tactics respond to audience and business objectives, contribute results to regular and campaign reports, and feed into future project designs.
- Manage relationships with external suppliers and negotiate best possible terms for the Cathedral.
- With the Business Development Manager, explore options for Derby Cathedral branded merchandise holding responsibility for sourcing and production.
- Liaise with the diocesan communications team ensuring they are kept up to date with relevant information, and work with them to develop and maintain the Cathedral’s relationship with local media: press, radio and TV.
- When necessary, produce and circulate press releases and be first port-of-call for media enquiries relating to Cathedral-specific activity.
- Participation in Cathedral staff team meetings and other ad hoc Cathedral meetings.
- Other such duties as may be reasonably be required and negotiated.
- Weekend and evening working will be required on occasion.
Qualifications and Training
- Degree level general education (or equivalent) or relevant professional work-related experience
- Applicants must have exceptional written skills and a keen eye for detail.
- CIM certification desired.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe CC. In-Design & Photoshop knowledge essential, Illustrator would be essential.
- 2yrs marketing experience
- Media and communications experience
- Designing systems and processes, setting up and implementation
- Contributing creatively to organisational change
- People management skills and a thorough understanding and direct experience of collaborative working
- Excellent copy writing skills and proven experience of creating high quality, compelling content for print and digital media
- Strong organisational skills, the ability to prioritise, meet objectives and deliver tasks on time and on budget
- Working in charitable/non-profit organisations
- Working in multi-disciplinary team and across functions
- Working to develop tourism, events, or education functions in a similar organisation or institution
- Experience in creating digital marketing campaigns.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Thorough and accurate
- Efficient and timely
- A passion for Derby Cathedral and playing his/her part in ensuring its mission and ministry has a sustainable future.
- Can deal comfortably and confidently with partners from all sectors of society.
- Positive, objective and self-motivated individual with a “can-do” attitude.
- Able to work across boundaries whilst respecting individual accountabilities and authority
- Committed to delivering a high quality service at all times
- Sympathetic to the aims and ethos of the Church of England.