Landscape Technical Officer - Richmond and Bushy Restoration Project (FTC)
Richmond and Bushy Parks, London
Do you have, or are you working towards, a degree level qualification in Landscape Architecture or Landscape/Countryside Management? Are you looking for the opportunity to expand your knowledge of landscape design, historic landscape restoration and park management?
The Royal Parks (TRP) is a charity created in March 2017. We manage over 5,000 acres of diverse parkland, rare habitats and historic buildings and monuments in eight Royal Parks across London.
These are: Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, The Green Park, St James’s Park, The Regent’s Park and Primrose Hill, Greenwich Park, Richmond Park and Bushy Park. We also manage other important public spaces including Brompton Cemetery and Victoria Tower Gardens. Our eight Royal Parks and other public spaces are among the most visited attractions in the UK with 77 million visits every year.
TRP has been awarded funding from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to address the devastating impacts of the pandemic on Richmond and Bushy Parks. In addition, the Peoples Postcode Lottery (PPL) continue to fund habitat restoration works. The lockdown resulted in visitor numbers increasing exponentially and had wide ranging negative impacts on the parks’ infrastructure and habitats.
Alongside physical interventions to address the damage, the project provides the opportunity to develop strategic thinking and master planning to ensure the future resilience of the parks, their habitats and wildlife. Both parks are designated as Grade 1 listed landscapes and are Sites of Special Scientific Interest whilst Richmond is also a National Nature Reserve and a Special Area of Conservation.
We are looking for a Landscape Technical Officer to join us on a fixed term contract until 29th July 2022.
- Salary of £27,801 - £33,727 per annum, depending on experience
- Pension scheme
- 26 days’ holiday pro rata plus public holidays
- An employee Healthcare plan
This is an incredible opportunity to gain valuable industry experience while contributing to the development of an iconic green space in London.
You will have the chance to learn from a talented Project Team, collaborate with contractors, consultants and other stakeholders and play a hands-on role in the delivery of an ambitious programme.
As the Landscape Technical Officer, you will support the delivery of the landscape elements of the Richmond and Bushy Restoration Project. You will get involved in the technical aspects of our landscape projects during detailed design, tendering and construction and be responsible for supervision of the contractor during the delivery phase of the works. You will work closely with our park teams and landscape maintenance. contractors. You will be responsible for ensuring that all Health and Safety requirements are met through all stages of project delivery.
Work closely with the Senior Landscape Architect/ Landscape Project Manager and TRP Head of Landscape to support detailed design, tender, contract administration and supervision of project delivery. Provide technical and contract administration support for landscape project delivery.
Support the development of briefs for strategic management plans including a Tree Strategy and woodland/ garden area masterplans, working alongside consultants to contribute to their development and delivery, ensuring park management plan policies, priorities and design aspirations are met.
- The post holder should hold a degree level qualification in a relevant area – for example the landscape design, construction, engineering, or environment sector, OR an HNC, HND or apprenticeship (Level 3 or above) type qualification with the relevant experience. You should hold a CSCS card or have relevant on-site supervisory experience
- Experience of working in a clerk of works and/or supervisory and inspection role delivering landscape works of a similar nature
- Experience of seeing projects through the tender and construction phases, supervising contractors to realise works on-site
- Experience of contract management – JCLI/JCT/NEC3
- Some experience of working with stakeholders, volunteers and communicating with the public
- Experience of working in sensitive landscapes (for example Grade 1 listed landscapes, SSSI’s, NNRs)
- An excellent knowledge of Health and Safety principles, COSHH regulations and construction site best practice
- Ability to write clear and concise instructions and reports
- Ability to follow instructions carefully and accurately with an eye for detail
- A good working knowledge of habitat restoration techniques
- A good working knowledge of landscape construction detailing
- Commitment to The Royal Parks’ values of being accountable, excellent, inclusive, open and respectful
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weather throughout the year
- Current driving licence
The Royal Parks is an equal opportunities employer that values diversity and is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Landscape Technical Officer, please apply via the button shown where you will be asked to complete an application form detailing how your skills and experience meet key competencies in the person specification. You will also be required to upload a copy of your CV as well as upload a few examples of illustrative material (plans/drawings/photos) on one side of A4 or A3.
Working hours: 36 hours per week (occasional evening/weekend work may be required)
Closing date for applications is Monday 9th August 2021
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.