Head of Finance
Bristol, Avon (with flexible working)
£48,000 - £53,000 per annum (depending on experience) plus benefits (see below)
Development Initiatives applies the power of data and evidence to build sustainable solutions.
Our mission is to work closely with partners to ensure data-driven evidence and analysis are used effectively in policy and practice to end poverty, reduce inequality and increase resilience.
While data alone cannot bring about a better world, it is vital to achieving it. Data has the power to unlock insight, shine a light on progress and empower people to increase accountability.
We are now seeking an experienced Head of Finance to join us on a permanent, full-time basis to contribute to the longer-term success of the organisation.
- Enhanced holiday entitlement, increasing with service, plus all bank and public
holidays and discretionary paid time off at Christmas
- Pension scheme with 5% employer contribution
- Flexible working arrangements (e.g. homeworking, flexitime)
- Healthcare scheme with employee assistance programme
- Paid study leave and financial support
- Paid professional membership fees
- Buy and sell holiday scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Informal work environment (e.g. casual dress)
- Free access to the onsite gym in the Bristol office
- Up to five days’ paid leave to volunteer for causes that address poverty and help vulnerable people
If you are a senior level finance professional with outstanding leadership skills and a passion for reducing poverty on a global scale, you will support vulnerable people the world over and enable our vital work.
You will have the chance to develop our financial strategies, and by leading our team and implementing processes and practices, you will ensure we are helping the right people in the right places at the point they need assistance the most.
So, if you are looking for the opportunity to do some real good with your career and increase the impact of our dynamic organisation, we want to hear from you.
As the Head of Finance, you will be accountable for all financial management and senior accounting operations.
You will oversee the production of monthly financial reports, leadership of the Finance team, maintenance of the finance system, financial controls and budgets and manage audits to help the organisation to deliver its strategic objectives.
Reporting to a newly appointed Chief Operating Officer, you will also provide financial business partnering support to colleagues at all levels and will be a trusted adviser with the ability to talk finance with non-finance staff to aid in decision-making.
Specifically, you will:
- Ensure financial dashboards provide insightful financial management information with
regards to revenue, spending trends, time analysis and KPI analysis
- Deliver periodic financial outputs such as weekly labour utilisation reports, monthly
management accounts (including cash flow forecasting), monthly department reports and
- Lead on annual organisational budget setting and quarterly reforecasts
- Manage strong working relationships with external parties, including auditors, banks,
software suppliers, foreign exchange brokers and other suppliers and advisors,
negotiating contracts and leading on any tender processes
- Manage a global team of staff, setting objectives and carrying out regular one-to-one
meetings to ensure direct reports are delivering to a high standard, providing coaching and mentoring support as appropriate
To join us as our Head of Finance, you will need:
- Relevant post-qualification experience of managing financial control systems, financial planning, and treasury and budget management
- Previous experience of managing external auditors and tender
- Experience in accounting and financial reporting at senior level, including board reporting
- Knowledge of current professional accounting requirements (with knowledge of FRS102)
- A solid knowledge of VAT
- Excellent analytical and business planning skills
- The ability to work under pressure, to deliver on time, to use initiative and solve problems
- Proven ability in interpreting financial information to provide relevant information to
stakeholders, with insight into trends
- The ability to explain financial concepts and technical subjects to non-financial people to
engage and obtain buy-in
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- To be fully qualified with a recognised professional accounting qualification (CIMA, CIPFA,
Five years of post-qualifying experience and/or a degree in accounting, finance or a relevant field would be desirable for this role, as would experience in multi-currency experience, Dimensions financial accounting software, and/or Focal Point project management software.
Previous experience working for not-for-profits and SMEs in international development would also be beneficial.
Other organisations may call this role Senior Finance Manager, Head of Accounting, Head of Accounts, Finance Manager, or Head of Financial Operations.
Development Initiatives is an equal opportunities employer and, in line with our policies, we aim to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origin, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation or disability.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Head of Finance, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.