The CMI works with business and education to inspire people to unleash their potential and become skilled, confident and successful managers and leaders. In fact, CMI has more than 60,000 people training to be better leaders right now across our partnership network in the UK and internationally.
Backed by a unique Royal Charter, CMI is the only organisation able to award Chartered Manager status - the ultimate management accolade, which is proven to boost individuals’ career prospects, management capability and impact in the workplace.
CMI’s thought leadership, research, events and online resources provide practical insight about critical issues for its 100,000 plus members and any professional looking to improve their results; create diverse high-performing teams and nurture the next generation of managers and leaders. #BetterManagers
We're looking for a dynamic self-starter to join our newly created team as Press and PR Officer. You will bring with you excellent written and verbal communication skills and a keen news sense to help us deliver proactive and reactive PR and media activities.
Location: Home-based during COVID, then flexible with regular travel to London
Reporting to: Head of Press and PR
- To provide an effective and efficient PR and media support for CMI teams to deliver corporate strategic goals.
- Research, develop and deliver comprehensive PR plans for national PR and media programmes (including social media) to support the CMI’s corporate strategic plans.
- Lead on responding to all media enquiries on leadership, management, training and development reinforcing the CMI as the authority and leading organisation in these areas.
- Develop and maintain working relationships and partnerships with national media contacts and other key stakeholders.
- Deliver coverage and engagement reports and campaign evaluations which reflect team and corporate KPIs.
- Develop and distribute media materials, including press releases, statements, letters to editors, features and articles and spokesperson briefings.
- Support the delivery of media training sessions, identifying colleagues who would benefit from training.
Who we are looking for:
- Good level of education with GCSE (or higher) English and Maths
- Experience of using technology and IT systems
- Significant experience of working in a national media-related environment
- Proven track record of achieving national and consumer media coverage in a variety of different areas
- Experience of planning, executing, monitoring and evaluating national PR & media plans
- Ability to communicate effectively face to face, in writing, by email, on the telephone, including public speaking
- Ability to write to a high standard under pressure, as well as excellent proofreading/editing skills
- Ability to manage own time effectively and productively
- Ability to work thoroughly and accurately, and with attention to detail, translating complex medical and research messages into compelling and engaging narratives
- Ability to proactively identify and develop news hooks and media angles that support organisational objectives
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills, with ability to build strong relationships and work collaboratively with stakeholders, including C-Suite, case studies and journalists
- A good understanding of social media channels and how to utilise them for effective communications
- Someone who will live CMI’s values and is professional, passionate, progressive and practical
Coming to work at CMI not only means joining a dynamic and ambitious organisation, it also means collaborating and sharing a passion for our mission. We know the importance of fresh ideas and encourage new, diverse perspectives.
We are a not for profit, Sunday Times top 100 employer offering an engaging, flexible and collaborative culture with a wealth of opportunity for professional development. Not forgetting our dog friendly offices! Some of our competitive benefits include 32 1/2 days’ holiday, flexible approach to working, CMI membership, healthcare cash plan and stakeholder pension scheme to name a few! Our Platinum Accreditation with Investors in People, awarded in 2020, shows just how passionate we are about creating a supportive and inclusive space for everyone in the CMI family.
As part of our recruitment process, we will share information relevant to your application, including your name, current role, CV and other data you may have provided us with, with internal hiring managers. We will use this data for the purpose of recruitment only. We may also access your publically available profiles (eg Linkedin) to support your application. Once the vacancy has been filled, your data will be retained for 4 weeks, after which your data will be destroyed, unless we contact you to request otherwise. By submitting an application for a vacancy with CMI you are agreeing for your data to be shared in this way.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy earlier than advertised should we receive a high number of suitable applicants.