The Landmark Trust is a heritage charity whose objects are to preserve sites of historic or architectural interest and to promote their enjoyment by the general public. We take on historic buildings and carefully and sensitively restore them, by making them available for holidays they can be enjoyed by all both today and for future generations.
We have approximately 250 buildings across the UK with a small number in Europe. We have an annual income of approximately £11 million a year and employ circa 500 staff, the majority of whom are part time offsite.
This role will be based in our beautiful offices in Shottesbrooke but may also be able to work from home and choose to work over four to five days.
This role is responsible for the day to day management of the finance department, both from a financial and management accounts perspective. The role combines supervision of others with personal contribution.
Duties and responsibilities:
- The supervision of the finance team to ensure that day-to-day accounting functions are performed as necessary, all deadlines are met and financial controls are operated. This includes overseeing and authorising transactions for the various purchase and nominal ledgers, payrolls, income and reconciliations.
- Financial information is both accurate and prepared on a timely basis.
- Ad hoc financial, tax and VAT issues are resolved including one-off forecasts, variance analysis, presentations and reports.
- The preparation of monthly management accounts for Landmark entities and specific cost centres, ensuring all related reconciliations have been completed, by the end of the following month, liaising with Heads of Department as required to resolve queries.
- project reports for all of the restoration projects. This will include close liaison with the Historic Estates department to ensure that accurate costings and timings are included.
- review of the funding information included in the project report with the Fundraising Department to ensure it is accurate, correctly allocated between projects and grant and other fundraising claims are being made promptly.
- rolling cash-flow forecasts
- Supervise or manage submission of the statutory accounts to the Charity Commission along with any other reporting requirements after Trustee approval.
- Provide quarterly re-forecasts, for the senior management team, Trustees & Audit Committee, as the year progresses including commentary. Produce regular written and, as required, verbal reports to Trustees, Audit and Remuneration committees on the organisation’s financial performance and future financial position and trends. At least annually produce an up to date analysis of our profitability by property and supervise production of quarterly costing and analysis reports for each region. Monitor KPI reports to ensure Landmark is on track to achieve its forecasts. Work closely with the Historic Estates department to help them forecast and control in particular our restoration projects (£2m a year spend and growing) and provide the necessary financial information for grant applications by the Fundraising department.
- Provide financial support, analysis and guidance for the management of Lundy. Monitor payments & commitments to ensure compliance with Scheme of Delegation. To the extent that this role is responsible for items in the risk register, ensure that the risk register is kept up to date and any necessary actions are being addressed Management of the fixed asset register.
- Could be professional or commercially qualified
- Able to demonstrate clear potential to take on and grow in role
- Previous experience in charity accounting
- Technically strong
- Ability to prioritise and manage diverse workloads.
- Good team leader
- Strong communicator
- Other qualities and requirements
- Organised and planned way of working, but able to be flexible within this
- Self-motivated and takes responsibility
- Able to explain financial issues to non-financial staff
- High attention to detail
- To show initiative and work proactively to solve potential issues
- Strong problem-solving ability
For more information and an application pack, please see our website www.landmarktrust.org.uk and see the attached job description.
Closing date is the 2nd July 2021.
No agencies please.