Overview of Role
London Transport Museum is the world’s leading museum of urban transport and an award winning day out, igniting curiosity to shape the future. Our amazing collection includes design icons: the Tube Map, Black Cab, and Routemaster bus, and a world-leading collection of poster art and urban design.
Reporting to the Head of Development, the Philanthropy Manager will be responsible for enabling the Museum to fundraise from individuals. You will use your knowledge and expertise as a confident relationship builder, with a proven track record of personally securing five and six figure gifts to move our mature medium-level donors to make transformational gifts. You will use your experience of creating successful cultivation and stewardship plans to maximise the fundraising potential of an organisation wide transformation in the way we approach and use data.
With the support of a wider experienced fundraising team and with access to a rich pool of prospects you will make the asks that shape our future.
- Grow London Transport Museum’s philanthropy programme, working with senior colleagues and volunteers to identify, cultivate and secure new donors both in the UK and internationally, with a focus on securing medium and large gifts
- Manage a portfolio of prospects and donors, understanding their motivations for giving. Build strong relationships, make the ask and create tailored cultivation and stewardship plans to meet and exceed agreed annual targets
- Develop and implement the strategy for establishing and growing Legacy Giving and American Friends programmes at London Transport Museum
- Oversee the growth of the Museum’s established Patrons Circle programme and giving initiatives across the Museum’s estate and digital platforms
- Identify new fundraising opportunities and contribute to the development of new fundraising projects to maintain the support of existing donors and inspire new prospects to support London Transport Museum creating business cases, case for support, proposals, presentations, budgets and digital content
- Work with the Development team to create and deliver communications, events and stewardship programmes to engage donors and funders in the work of the Museum and to maintain sustained support
- Implement plans to steward donor relationships strategically and creatively to develop and build long-term relationships between donors and the Museum
- Manage the timely reporting on funded projects to donors, implementing and maintaining appropriate donor acknowledgment
- Oversee administration processes for philanthropy and maintain an accurate and up to date database, ensuring the highest levels of donor care and stewardship. Liaise with solicitors, executors and internal colleagues to administer bequests made to London Transport Museum, adhering to best practice at all times
- Undertake all activities in line with best practice standards and processes as set out by the Chartered Institute of Fundraising and appropriate regulatory bodies
- Support the development of annual team targets and budgets. Implement reporting methods to track progress against agreed targets and KPIs, to be shared with the wider Development team, leadership team and board
- Develop and maintain an informed knowledge of London Transport Museum’s work and programmes in order to communicate key messages to donors in a professional, persuasive and compelling manner
- Keep up to date on the latest trends and development within fundraising ensuring that London Transport Museum’s donor offer remains competitive, innovative and relevant
- Work alongside colleagues to contribute to the overall strategy and success of the Development team embedding a culture of fundraising and philanthropy across London Transport Museum
- Confident relationship builder able to build personal and organisational relationships at all levels
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the proven ability to communicate with persuasion and credibility and to influence at a senior level
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritise both strategically and operationally and manage time effectively to meet deadlines
- Attention to detail, editing and proof-reading skills
- Enthusiastic, confident, and self-motivated
- A tenacious, driven and flexible approach and a can-do attitude.
- Committed to working with the team to meet income targets
- Knowledge of developing fundraising strategy
- Knowledge of major gift fundraising principles and the solicitation process with a demonstrable ability to engage with major donors and solicit five and six figure gifts
- Knowledge of researching and approaching potential income sources, and securing income from individuals
- Knowledge of GDPR and fundraising legislation and compliance
- Computer and database literate with a good working knowledge of MS Office
- Strong and proven experience of working in an individual giving fundraising role with a record of successful income generation and track record of fundraising from major donors, high-profile individuals or legacies and personally securing gifts five and six figure gifts
- A track record of delivering against agreed targets, timescales and objectives, of managing multiple projects, and of working with internal and external colleagues to achieve goals
- Experience of developing and implementing fundraising strategy
- Experience of liaison with major donors, senior stakeholders and those with a capacity to give at a high level
- Experience of managing others including consultants and volunteers with whom the post holder does not have line management responsibility
- Experience of event management and delivery
- Experience of planning, implementing and monitoring budgets to agreed deadlines
- Excellent database management skills and awareness and ability to act on data insight
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
- 30 days’ annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel
When applying, you will need to have a CV and a covering letter.
To apply, please visit our website.
Closing date: Sunday 27 June 2021 at 11:59pm.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.