DEPUTY FINANCE DIRECTOR (HQ)
-based in The Hague, Netherlands
An international NGO dedicated to humanitarian safety, INSO provides information, analysis, coordination, training, and other support services to aid agencies working in insecure and fragile contexts.
Working with more than 1,000 local and international NGOs across 14 conflict affected countries, our projects support the safety of aid workers and help protect the vital relief they deliver to vulnerable communities.
We are now seeking a qualified and experienced individual to join our headquarters finance team as Deputy Finance Director (“DFD”). The post offers an opportunity to help the safety of the humanitarian community and to use your experience and your skills to support the Finance Director by leading and developing the Finance department.
The “DFD” manages 3 Finance Controllers at the Headquarter and works closely with them and the Finance Director to apply high-quality financial management across the organization. This involves ensuring compliance with donors and accounting regulations, providing mentoring to team members, reviewing team members' work, leading on specific projects, and systems improvement initiative and training.
Key responsibilities will include:
* Oversees the accounting function across the organization. Ensures the accounting procedures are standardized, accounting controls are applied to get adequate assurance as to the reliability of the financial records. Leads the annual closure-of-accounts exercise and prepares the management accounts in line with Dutch regulations (RJ640),
* Coordinates with external auditors and the other departments, the audit of annual accounts and grants or any special audits taking place at the Headquarter. Consolidates and provides auditors with financial information as required,
* Provides the leadership oversight and administrative direction to Finance Controllers, job orientations, task allocation, and ongoing performance management. Works with them to correct deficiencies and proactively build the capacity of the Finance personnel both at the Headquarter and field sites,
* Oversees INSO’s performance in budget, cash management and grants compliance. Ensures Finance Controllers and Managers apply standards formats and procedures, perform adequate controls, testing and reconciliations to reduce errors and financial risks arising from grants management,
* Works with the information technology and the support of external consultants to maintain a secured storage environment of the finance documents and the accounting software. Sets-out security protocols and data access groups, carries out system testing, training, and troubleshooting,
* Undertakes specific assigned projects development to fill gaps as they are identified or required,
* Substitutes the Finance Director functions while on leave,
The ideal candidate:
The candidate is professionally qualified and has significant managerial experience. He/she has excellent interpersonal skills, attention to detail and ability to influence and motivate teammates and colleagues.
1. Fully qualified (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
2. 10 years in a management role, ideally leading finance functions at HQ or regional level,
3. Demonstrable experience of systems improvements across the finance functions,
4. Demonstrable experience of staff leading and capacity building,
5. Demonstrable experience of the regulatory practices and trends (donors/regulators) affecting the humanitarian sector,
6. Proficient in technology and accounting software (SUNSYTEM)
7. Ability and willingness to travel to INSO field sites, most of which are insecure,
8. Fluent in English language (written and spoken)
Added benefits will be:
1. Fluent in French language
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified.
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card);
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.);
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Terms & Conditions:
Fixed term (renewable) full-time contract based in The Hague, Netherlands, €7,000 per month, 8% vacation pay (vakentiegeld), 2.5 days annual leave per month. The post is eligible for Highly Skilled Migrant visa sponsorship and a resettlement allowance.
How to Apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure to reference "DFD" in the subject line of your email. Please do not apply on the Third Sector platform. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
* Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
* Up to date CV (4-page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB.