On the western fringes of Dartmoor, you’ll discover the Garden House, a renowned 10-acre garden and café that is run by a small charity, The Fortescue Trust.
In this magical place, there are stunning, romantic gardens and secret pathways that create an inspiring environment, perfect for those looking for horticultural ideas or who just want to be surrounded by the beauty of the natural world.
We’ve built an incredible reputation and are very proud of our garden. Run by a mixture of staff and volunteers, we aim to provide amazing visitor experiences (as well as great cream teas!). In addition to income from visitors, membership, donation and fund-raising, we also have a retail outlet, that mostly sells plants and a café.
We’re now looking for an Operations Manager to join our friendly team and help to make The Garden House a success.
- Salary of £25,000 - £30,000
- Benefits package
This rare and exciting opportunity will be perfect for an operational management professional with a background in the catering sector and an exceptional hands-on style to embark on an incredible adventure with us.
In our magical gardens and newly refurbished café, we’ve worked hard to create an exceptional space where everyone can enjoy our gardens, be inspired by horticulture and nature and take themselves away from the hubbub of day-to-day life.
You will have the chance to play a key leadership role in the success of our offering, running the show, developing ideas and putting the Garden House on the map. Within our friendly and supportive team, you‘ll discover amazing opportunities to display your creative side, further your expertise and levels of experience and make a real and genuine impact on your career, your future and our operations.
As the Operations Manager, you will be tasked with ensuring that each and every visitor to the Garden House has an incredible, memorable experience.
Using your creativity, drive and hands-on approach, you will develop visitor experiences from start to finish. You will work alongside the Head Gardener in order to take week-to-week responsibility for running the entire venue and will be supported by the Trustees, staff and volunteers.
Seeking to grow membership, secondary spend and donations, you will develop initiatives, offers and exciting engagement packages that will increase footfall and support our success.
This is a varied and exciting role that will see you getting involved with every element of operations, working with Trustees for specialist support and rolling up your sleeves and helping out in the café and on the gate when needed.
- Experience in an operational management role, including leading a team in a customer-facing environment
- Proven experience of running a profitable catering operation
- Working knowledge of social media and other marketing tools
- Strong people skills, creating good working relationship with those in your team, your peers, and other stakeholders, including volunteers
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills
- Experience of managing budgets, meeting financial and performance targets
- Knowledge of Health & Safety and compliance requirements and experience of managing operational risk, including how to assess and manage risk effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate effectively and confidently with diverse groups
- Effective planning, prioritisation and time management skills
- Good judgement and decision making, ability to work autonomously, along with a good sense of where to seek advice and support, and willingness to do so
- Good IT skills (Microsoft Office)
An interest in plants and gardening would be highly beneficial, together with an interest and understanding of the core purpose of the Garden House. Experience of recruiting, managing and motivating volunteers would also be an advantage.
Other organisations may call this role Retail Operations Manager, Catering Operations Manager, Restaurant Manager, Venue Manager, Attraction Operations Manager, Leisure & Tourism Manager, or Ops Manager.
Webrecruit and the Garden House are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as an Operations Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.