EngineeringUK is a not-for-profit organisation, which works in partnership with the engineering community to inform and inspire young people and grow the number and diversity of tomorrow’s engineers. We work locally, regionally and nationally with a wide range of organisations across business and industry, education, professional institutions and the third sector to understand the engineering sector and the skills it requires. We work in partnership with these organisations to develop and promote effective initiatives and programmes to inspire young people to consider a career in engineering.
About the role
The corporate governance function supports the Director of Finance and Corporate Services and Chief Executive in ensuring that good governance practice is followed and that effective policies, procedures and processes are in place to support this for EngineeringUK (the trading name for the Engineering and Technology Board) and its subsidiaries: Scenta Ltd and the Big Bang Education CIC.
EngineeringUK is an independent charity and a company limited by guarantee.
Main duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Corporate Services, responsibilities include:
- Drafting and editing of agendas and papers for Board and Committee and also regular senior leadership meetings in consultation with the Executive Team and other members of staff as required.
- Minuting of Board and Committee meetings for timely circulation
- Advising on the election and appointment processes for Board Members
- Managing elections for Board members where appropriate
- Assisting with the induction of new Board Members, including the preparation of induction material
- Maintaining a forward agenda of corporate meetings
- Drafting and updating corporate governance documents, policies and procedures for consultation and agreement by the Executive Committee, the Board and/or its Committees as appropriate and advising on the same
- Advising on risk management, including ensuring that appropriate policies and procedures are in place to manage risk and supporting the Executive Team in the regular review of Risk Registers and reports to the Audit, Risk and Investment Committee
- Managing and maintaining a Register of Interests, including advising on matters relating to conflicts of interest
- Assisting the Director of Finance and Corporate Services to meet the requirements of Regulatory bodies (such as Companies House, the Charity Commission and OSCR), including timely submission of Annual Returns/Confirmation Statements and maintaining up to date charity details
- Completing projects required by the Board and Committees such as, review of Diversity and Inclusion, Board reviews, skills and compliance with the Charity Governance Code.
- Advising on other matters relating to corporate governance
- Assisting the Director of Finance and Corporate Services with other tasks as necessary.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Corporate Services, you will be expected to work closely with the Executive Team and other members of staff, as well as working with Board members, to ensure that high standards of governance are met to aid the effective running of the organisation.
The role will be based at the EngineeringUK offices in London but staff are currently working from home during the pandemic and this arrangement is kept under review.
This is a part-time role but you will be required to be available for Board meetings, Committee Meetings, AGMs and Away days.
- Significant experience of working in corporate governance and able to demonstrate an understanding of the governance requirements of charities and companies
- Experience of working with people across the organisation to support and encourage them to deliver to deadlines
- Experience of servicing a Board and/or Committee
- Excellent written skills
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Excellent planning and organisational skills and an eye for detail
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good IT skills
- ICSA Postgraduate Certificate in Charity Management, ICSA Chartered Secretary
- Experience of working in a small to medium sized organisation with charity status
Applying for this role
EngineeringUK is an inclusive organisation. We welcome everyone from all talents and backgrounds and enjoy working together on many projects that draw on people’s skills and perspectives from across the organisation. Each applicant is assessed solely on the basis of personal merit and qualifications, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age.
Please send a CV and statement in support your application (detailing how you fulfil the key criteria for the role) by email to HR@engineeringuk.com, quoting the job title in the subject of your email. Your personal statement should include a short paragraph on each of the criteria listed in the Person Specification to show why you would be a suitable candidate for this role.
The deadline for applications is before 12:00 noon on 27th May 2021.