The Charity Commission has set out our ambitious five year strategy, being clear that we will be driven by our purpose to ensure that charity can thrive and inspire trust so that people can improve lives and strengthen society. Our purpose is bold, confident and so is our proud commitment to represent the public interest.
The Head of Strategic Policy sits within the Policy function of the Communications and Policy Directorate, set up to develop an ambitious new approach to policy making at the Charity Commission.
This person will lead the strategic policy team to use insights and research to shape the development of strategic policy as part of an exciting programme of proactive policy work. They will also work with Strategic Communications to implement and embed policy by finding new and better ways to reach out to the 700,000 strong community of charity trustees.
Our work is varied, exciting, innovative and fast-paced; and this role offer the opportunity to lead an ambitious and motivated team to deliver a portfolio of complex and interesting policy work which has the potential to effect real and positive change in a vitally important sector.
This role is directly accountable for:
- developing and implementing excellent policy, including providing high quality advice to senior leaders
- bringing together different sources of insight to inform our work including working with colleagues in the Intelligence and Tasking Unit to identify and analyse external sources of data and insight to support the Commission’s regulatory work, working with colleagues to create insight into risk from Commission and external data and trends and use it externally to influence policy and decision making
- working collaboratively with teams across the Commission to implement our government and stakeholder strategies, with an important advocacy role with government stakeholders, fellow regulators, sector
- evaluating the impact of emerging legislation or policy affecting charities, scoping the Commission’s position and identifying where appropriate the potential to influence debate
- designing, commissioning and overseeing our programme of research and developing the report and analysis to influence policy and practice, including having oversight of the annual research budget
- highly effective team leadership and line management, which may include leading guidance projects
- supporting the directorate’s forward planning, performance and outcome monitoring and reporting
As a member of the directorate’s senior leadership team, the Head of Strategic Policy will share collective responsibility for:
- leading and shaping the directorate’s activity, driving and monitoring performance
- helping to make the directorate a great place to work
- working with key internal stakeholders - including the Board, executive leadership team, and colleagues in other directorates - to ensure the directorate understands and is supporting and contributing to strategic and business priorities