Summary: We are seeking an experienced professional to manage the finances of our growing organisation to the highest standard. This important role will work closely with colleagues throughout the whole organisation to ensure good practice is followed and that financial information is available in a timely and accessible manner. You will have extensive experience of reviewing, developing and implementing systems, with excellent attention to detail.
Diversity Monitoring Form (optional)
This new role has been created to support the development of Central Support Services (CSS) and ensure its smooth day-to-day running. As GI has grown - in staff size, income and reach - we need to ensure that our systems and processes remain fit for purpose and are implemented consistently. This helps everyone: it enables our staff and volunteers to continue to deliver high quality services in a safe and compliant manner; and increases transparency so that our service users are confident in GI and their engagement is supported in the most appropriate manner.
The role will work very closely with another newly created role – Head of Operations – to support the Director of Public Engagement and Central Support Services (PECSS), which will become a more strategic, developmental role. Certain aspects of the division of the roles are expected to continue to evolve in the first few months, and ongoing liaison and a strong working relationship with the Director and Head of Operations will be necessary.
The size of GI, and the nature of the role, means that the postholder will be required to have a good working knowledge across the whole of the organisation. There will be a varied mix of activities, and the postholder will be expected to be hands on when required, as well as able to manage and delegate effectively to others.
You will be responsible for the ensuring GI’s budget is managed and monitored effectively, supporting colleagues to deliver their work in a timely manner. You will sit on the Management Group alongside other department heads, service managers, line managers and senior practitioners from across the organisation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Overall aim: The postholder is responsible for reviewing, improving, implementing and embedding appropriate finance systems and processes across the organisation to ensure that staff, volunteers and service users are adequately supported.
The range of responsibilities and duties of this role will include those listed below.
- Oversee the annual budget setting and review and monitoring process. This involves supporting budget holders, creating templates, collating income and expenditure data, and providing timely reports for budget holders, Dir PECSS, SLT and the Board.
- Oversee grant and contract income. This involves reviewing and negotiating contracts/ terms and conditions; liaising with funders and commissioning bodies; monitoring income and cash flow; developing a 3 year forecast.
- Manage compliance with funder requirements, maintaining overview and communicating with colleagues to ensure they are aware of responsibility for timely and accurate reporting.
- Work closely with the fundraising team, providing financial information for grant giving applications and ensuring applications are targeted to meet identified organisational needs
- Manage the payroll process, checking and collating data from monthly timesheets and liaising with GI’s payroll provider. Create annual timesheets for all staff.
- Work with line managers and the Finance Administrator to allocate expenditure appropriately to multiple activities.
- Support GI budget holders and other staff to meet their financial responsibilities, developing tools and guidance as required
- Review all contracts received and liaise with partners to ensure terms and conditions are favourable to GI; where necessary create contract templates and issue contracts and sub-contracts.
- Manage tender processes for new services as required.
- Line manage finance staff as required (currently the Finance Administrator works on a freelance basis).
- Ensure compliance with Companies House and Charity Commission regulations, including managing the End of Year financial process and liaising with colleagues to ensure timely production of our Annual Trustee Report.