Community Development Manager
We are looking for a Community Development Manager to lead a thriving and inspiring community development department to reach people from West Yorkshire’s Gypsy and Traveller communities.
Position: Community Development Manager
Location: Leeds, office and home-based working
Hours: 28 hours per week
Salary: £30,451 - £33,782 pro rata
Duration: Permanent, an initial 3-year contract with possible extension subject to further funding
Benefits: 28 days plus 14 days Bank Holidays pro rata, Special Leave and Flexible Working Policies, Employee Assistance Scheme with Health Assured, Up to 5% match pension contributions, Free Parking, Bike Parking and 15-minute walk from city centre
Closing Date: 6th May at 5pm
Interview Date: 13th May
The communities’ department currently comprises of a communities’ co-ordinator, community outreach worker, community tutor, youth work co-ordinator and a youth work assistant. They run projects for adults and young people including Community Action Groups (campaigning groups), social and peer support groups, youth groups, welfare calls, a homework club, intergenerational learning projects.
The charity has just been awarded a three year grant from the National Lottery Community Fund to run a three-year community development programme focused on outreach and engagement, community learning and working together for change.
The Community Development Manager will:
- Support members to connect to the organisation, each other and to run projects and campaigns.
- Ensure accessible routes to participation, at all levels, across your department and the organisation.
- Work holistically to improve wellbeing.
- Promote and support self-help and confidence and adhere to the charity’s values.
- Provide line management and operational management to your department including ensuring effective processes, safeguarding and recording and evaluation.
- Lead on quality assurance of your projects and work closely with the Senior Leadership Team on organisational development projects.
- Lead on fundraising within your department with the support of the Director of Development.
- Be invested in the progression of staff and future staff, working with community members to help them gain experience volunteering and doing sessional work for the charity.
Please note due to current circumstances you will be required to work from home, with desk space at the office available on a booking basis. The charity does anticipate returning to its offices and needs suitable candidates to be able to travel to Leeds as part of their regular week.
As Community Development Manager, you will have the ability to manage competing demands and priorities and to meet deadlines
You will have experience of:
- Community development
- Working with children, young people and families
- Managing and developing a team, including volunteers
- Operational management – including health and safety, safeguarding and planning
- Managing projects – including budget management
- Effective and community led interventions around families, children and older people
- Implementing safeguarding legislation and responsibilities in a senior role
Understanding of the diverse Gypsy and Traveller communities within West Yorkshire and of the issues that affect the lives of Gypsies and Travellers would also be beneficial for this role.
Work for the 2018 Winner of the GSK Impact Award that has an internal aim of excellence and sustainability to ensure all staff are cared for and valued. The charity is proud to be a Mindful Employer, Living Wage Employer and reflective organisation with an ongoing commitment to learning and development. With annual pay reviews, development, regular full staff training away days, team building day and a great benefits package, this truly is a great place to work and grow.
About the Organisation
The charity is a thriving community led organisation, delivering vital support and community development work with Gypsy and Traveller communities in Leeds and West Yorkshire.
Other roles you may have experience of could include Community Development, Community Engagement, Community Development Manager, Community Development Officer, Community Partnerships, Partnerships and Engagement, Impact, Community Engagement Manager, Community Engagement Officer, Community Coordinator, Engagement, Youth, Youth Work, Family, Support, Community, Communities, Gypsy, Traveller, Society, Community Facing, Outreach, Community Outreach, Volunteer Manager, Volunteer, Volunteer Coordinator, Fundraiser, Fundraising, Campaign, Campaigning.