Thank you for your interest in our Director of Fundraising role.
As a charity, we are hugely proud of the impact we have had on behalf of people affected by blood cancer. The £500million we have invested in research over the last 60 years has saved many thousands of lives, and we are now in a position where the day we will beat blood cancer is finally in sight.
But with the coronavirus crisis already having had a big impact on our income, it is more vital than ever that we have the strong strategic leadership to keep our mission to beat blood cancer on course.
The single biggest factor holding back our mission is that we don’t raise enough money. We already have a team of fantastic fundraisers who are expert in their area and dedicated to the cause. What they need is a leader who can provide them with the vision and sense of ambition to enable them to make our income levels increase more quickly than most people reading would think is possible.
Achieving this will be really hard, and you’ll need to be someone genuinely exceptional to achieve it. But if you’re that person, you’ll be coming to a charity where the whole organisation is focused on fundraising, from Board to the support-line team, from Chief Executive to research grants committee and where we’ll be alongside you, doing everything we possibly can to help you succeed.
The rewards for getting there will be immense. This is a real chance to change the lives of people with blood cancer forever, and to lead a fundraising team to transformational growth and so establish yourself as one of the leading fundraisers in the UK.
We're passionate about doing more to increase the diversity of the Blood Cancer UK team, we can’t be there for the community we serve unless we are a better reflection of it, so we’d particularly welcome applications from people of colour for this critical role.
If this is the sort of challenge that makes you feel excited rather than daunted, come and join us and together we can change the world for people affected by blood cancer.
1. Strategic fundraising leadership to increase income
2. Working as part of the Executive team, develop and guide the strategic direction of Blood Cancer UK, ensuring we achieve our organisational goals and performance targets.
Our leaders need to be inspirational, bringing enthusiasm, energy and conviction – to lead by doing, not just saying. With a ‘can do’ attitude and collaborative management approach, our leaders engage their teams and make their work fun as well as rewarding.
If you would like an informal discussion about the role before applying, then please contact Jess Badley, Head of HR & OD on email@example.com. You can see more detail on our website.
· Set clear strategic direction and drive ambitious, achievable stretch targets for all income streams aligned with our vision, mission and strategic goals.
· Drive innovation and fundraising excellence, making data driven decisions to support growth.
· Build alignment between fundraising, advocacy and awareness, building effective supporter journeys.
· Reporting income streams to the board of trustees.
DEVELOPING OUR FUNDRAISING PORTFOLIO
· Ensure ongoing review of our existing fundraising portfolio; proactively managing performance and developing case for future investment.
· Devise and deliver a cross organisational donor-acquisition strategy
· Maximise the contribution from maturing income streams
· Ensure the Return on Investment of all activity is completely understood and actively managed
· Maintain an excellent understanding of the external Fundraising environment, in order to maximise opportunities for diversification and ensure compliance with best practice
· Play a lead role in identifying and securing new supporter/partner opportunities with an emphasis on significant corporate partners, major donors and trusts foundations and statutory
· Develop and implement a cross organisational ‘supporter journey’ programme using customer insight to ensure all stakeholders get the right experience when they interact with us
· Alongside the Director of Research, Services and Engagement, provide strategic leadership for marketing our services to health professionals, researchers and patients.
MANAGEMENT, PLANNING AND LEADERSHIP
· Embed a culture of high-performance in which the team are inspired and empowered
· Proactively analyse performance for ongoing improvement
· Develop our Fundraising strategy
· Design, agree and actively monitor KPIs including income, expenditure and ROI
· Ensure the organisation complies with relevant regulations, standards and legislation in relation to our engagement and income generation activities
· Ensure the team has appropriate infrastructure to perform at the level required.
· Be an ambassador for Blood Cancer UK – through compelling written and oral communication
· Communicate with empathy to patients and their families, and with passion and influence to potential supporters
THINGS WE ALL DO
• Promote Blood Cancer UK’s vision, mission and core values
• Attend and assist at Blood Cancer UK events and activities as required (NB this involves evening and weekend work)
• Be an effective ambassador for Blood Cancer UK at any activity you attend
• Develop an in-depth understanding of our work
• Follow the principles of LEAN and continuous improvement
• All staff are expected to adhere to Blood Cancer UK’s policies and procedures
• Do any other reasonable things your manager needs you to do