Crawley Borough Council Homeless Prevention & Money Advice Adviser
About the Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and driven Adviser to join our organisation to provide specialist advice and casework to find solutions to prevent homelessness for local residents in financial difficulty.
You will provide in-depth quality advice and ongoing casework through different channels in housing and debt; taking a holistic approach addressing the root cause, ensuring all options are given to and understood by the client so they make informed choices about their situation.
You will be responsible for supporting clients including preparing accurate financial statements, budgeting advice and progression of debt options, advising on court proceedings for debt recovery and repossessions, and income maximisation to ensure take up of benefits and identify social security options. If required, provide representation/MacKenzie friend representation at County Court or Independent Tribunals.
- Recent experience of delivering independent high quality advice and casework in a busy environment whilst working to and maintaining external quality standards.
- A demonstrable knowledge of preventing homelessness through at least one of the following subjects: debt, housing and welfare benefits advice and evidence of being able to quickly learn these subject areas.
- Strong knowledge of welfare benefits including housing benefit and the housing elements of Universal Credit with successful outcomes.
- Knowledge of the debt remedies and procedures including rent and mortgage arrears and use of budgeting and income maximisation tools.
- Excellent IT and digital skills including accurate data entry on case management systems and able to self service work on a range of IT including Microsoft Office.
- Able to challenge discrimination, uphold our values including equality, diversity and inclusion.
About our Charity
Citizens Advice in West Sussex (North, South, East) (CAWS) is a registered charity and part of the national Citizens Advice Network. We are here to help our users with the problems and questions they face, so they can make choices and thrive. We want things to be better and so we use our insight and our clients lived experiences to improve the system for everyone.
Our service is free, independent and confidential. We value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination.
CAWS delivers a range of advice services, funded by grants, local and national contracts. We work in lots of partnerships including the local authority, Macmillan, NHS, Housing Associations and more. Citizens Advice experience is not a requirement for this post, although an understanding of the service is desirable.
- Paid annual leave (+ bank holidays)
- Company Sick Pay (Qualifying period required)
- Company pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Flexible employer sensitive to the needs of today’s workforce
- Commitment to continued professional development
- Working for a locally focused charity dedicated to assisting and empowering the community, and helping influence changes to government policy
If you feel you have the skills to develop into this new role, please do visit our website for more information and to apply.
Closing date: 22 March 2021