Central London (currently remote-working)
The closing deadline for applications is 22nd March 2021
Interviews will be held the week commencing 5th April 2021
Please note, this role is not open to sponsorship.
IIED is an international policy and action research organisation delivering solutions to sustainable development challenges. Working with partners across the globe, we link local priorities to global challenges. We use evidence, action and influence to strengthen the voices of marginalised people in vital decision-making arenas — from village councils to international conventions. Our mission is to build a fairer, more sustainable world using evidence, action and influence, working in partnership with others.
We are a skilled and energetic communications group committed to sustainable development communications, complementing IIED’s leading role in research. Our communications work is based on four values – engagement, influence, accessibility and visibility – and targets five priority audiences: policy, media, academia and research, private sector and philanthropists, and the informed general public.
We are now looking for a Media Manager to take on a senior role within our Communications Group and oversee all aspects of our media strategy.
- Salary of £47,009 - £51,783 per annum (or up to £58,454 for exceptional candidates) DOE
- Benefits package
- Exciting and engaging work environment
If you have a strong press and media background, this is a superb opportunity to work with researchers, partners and local communities to promote global change.
As part of our fast-paced Communications Group, you will have the chance to drive awareness of our work on a national and international scale, showing how our research findings can inform critical decisions at all levels across important sustainable development themes.
As the Media Manager, you will develop, implement and monitor our overall media strategy.
Reporting to the Director of Communications, you will focus on developing our capacity to work with mainstream and specialist media to influence audiences nationally and internationally.
You will achieve this through direct coverage and by cultivating strong relationships with a range of media contacts to extend our sphere of influence and strengthen our position in the international sustainable development, climate, environment and social justice sectors.
Your duties will include:
- Developing our broadcast media strategy across print, broadcast and digital channels
- Working closely with our researchers to understand their areas of expertise and interests
- Identifying opportunities to develop stories, as well as writing and distributing press releases, informed by our research; also issuing statements for the press on key issues
- Working with colleagues in the Communications Group to integrate the media strategy with the editorial, marketing, social media and digital strategies
- Finding opportunities to promote the work of our partners across the world
- Acting as the primary point of contact for media enquiries.
To be considered as our Media Manager, you will need:
- To be a qualified journalist and/or feature writer and experienced press officer with at least seven years’ experience
- Substantial experience of networking and building and maintaining good relationships with national and international media contacts
- Previous experience of writing news stories, features and blogs, particularly based on research content, for print, online and broadcast news channels
- Experience of providing an advisory service on issues related to press and media and/or delivering media training to non-specialists
- Previous experience of pitching content to the media using a variety of approaches
- Experience of engaging the media in a policy research institute or with researchers
- An understanding of how public affairs engagement can support media activity.
Other organisations may call this role Press Office Manager, Public Relations Manager, PR Manager, Media Office Manager, Communications Manager, Media Relations Manager, or Journalist.
Webrecruit and IIED are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Media Manager, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 35 hours per week