As the Finance Manager you will be responsible for all financial functions within Metroland Cultures such as monthly management accounts, preparing annual accounts for audit, project budgets, payrolling, pensions, liaising with HMRC and auditors, I.T subscriptions, asset registers and introducing clear policies and procedures to ensure robust financial controls are in place. Currently this is managed through Sage.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Manage effective accounting and bookkeeping systems and procedures.
● Maintain and monitor internal financial controls processes and systems, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, policies and procedures to ensure Metroland’s day-to-day operational activities are in-line with budgetary allocations.
● Maintain financial records of income and expenditure across all budgets including restricted budget monitoring and management.
● Prepare monthly cash flow and management reports, to actively monitor and understand budget variances.
● Manage bank account reconciliations and transactions.
● Prepare documents and schedules for annual accounts liaising with accountants.
● Work with the Director to proactively mitigate financial and legal risks to the organisation and trustees.
● Ensure Metroland’s financial activities meet Metroland’s policies, funder criteria and legislative requirements.
● Work with the Director to maintain and develop policies and procedures that encompass finance and accounting such as procurement, HR, GDPR, IT, conflict of interests, expenses and ensure staff are fully appraised of their responsibilities in adhering to them.
● Prepare financial papers for board meetings and ensure timely circulation in advance of meetings.
● Track and manage holiday leave and Toil.
● Process monthly payroll and pension contributions.
● Support the setting up of payroll for Metroland University Work placement programme.
● Experience of SAGE.
● Procure IT equipment, software subscriptions, licenses and warranties.
● Maintain an asset register.
● Purchase company phones and contracts as required.
● Adhere to Metroland Cultures policies and procedures with respect to Safeguarding, Health & Safety, Equal and Diversity, Environmental and Data Protection.
● Be willing to undertake any necessary training or development in order to fulfill the role.
● Liaise with HMRC as and when needed.
● Join Metroland Board and meet with Trustee leading on Finance.
● Highly numerate with previous experience in a similar role.
● Understanding of restricted funds and fund tracking.
● Understanding of VAT rules and experience of liaising with HMRC.
● Ability to analyse budgets, forecasting and reconciliations.
● Experience of producing management reports.
● Experience of producing board papers.
● Excellent and clear communication skills, both verbally and written.
● Excellent standard of IT skills including Microsoft Office and SAGE.
● The ability to plan, prioritise and manage a complex workload, work under pressure and problem solve.
● Ability to work as a member of the team.
● Previous experience in a similar role within the charitable sector.
Please note: This position will initially be remote / home-based due to the COVID-19 pandemic.