Guy's & St Thomas' Charity is an independent, urban health foundation who work with Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust and others to improve the health of people in the London boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark and beyond.
For over 500 years the Charity has been a constant in London's ever-changing landscape, at the leading edge of health; working in collaboration with communities, partners and hospitals. The Charity has recently completed an ambitious strategic brand review which aims to give clear distinction to specific areas of work through distinct brands with individual propositions.
This purpose of this role is to lead and shape communications, achieving impact across a new portfolio of five brands for Guy's & St Thomas' Charity. It will drive continued evolution of their communications strategy with responsibility for the overall strategic direction and success of communications. It is a broad role that includes strategy, oversight and delivery across all of their channels to a wide range of audiences. This role has 3 direct reports. The Director of Communications is a new role, created to increase leadership capacity and strategic capability to support a growing team.
Leadership and strategy
- Lead the team of senior communication specialists, providing strategic input to shape plans that deliver impact
- Position the organisation as a leading voice in health impact
- Advise colleagues on communications strategies and approaches to connect with specialist B2B audiences (investment and property)
- Position the organisation as an employer of choice in and beyond the sector, supporting our ambition to attract a wide and diverse range of talent into our team
- Drive high quality, engaging and effective communications, raising the bar for their three charity brands - Guy's and St Thomas' Charity, Evelina London Children's Charity and Guy's Cancer Charity
- Lead the development and delivery of fundraising marketing strategies that engage and inspire audiences and convert them into long term supporters
- Oversee the development of an engagement strategy that connects with Trust staff as beneficiaries of funding that can turn their ideas around staff welfare and patient experience into reality
- Oversight of in-depth, insight driven communications around urban health to engage and influence local, national and international audiences in their urban health work
- Working in partnership with their Policy & Influence Director, develop strategies to deliver communications outputs that will engage, inform and influence decision-makers at a national level
Brand and content
- Working with the Head of Brand and Content to oversee the establishment and activation of our new brands and delivery of high quality plans and content
- Overview and management of overall comms budget ensuring costs are well managed by all teams
- Development of business cases for investment in our communications e.g. increasing our marketing spend to grow income
The Successful Applicant
Knowledge and experience
- Significant communications experience at a senior level and across disciplines, including how to devise, plan and implement corporate communications and marketing strategies
- Strong track record of overseeing marketing communications that support income growth
- Health and health policy knowledge desirable
- Previous experience in working across multiple brands desirable
- Confident leader of multiple teams with ability to lead and flex across a broad remit
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.