The Centre for Entrepreneurs is a leading UK charity that focuses on the promotion of entrepreneurship through development programmes, original research, building and sustaining communities and influencing and developing policy.
The Operations Lead supports all operational activities undertaken by the Centre for Entrepreneurs – the NEF+ Learning Programme, research and policy delivery activity and events; leads on managing CFE’s systems, financial processes, CFE’s in-house promotional material and supports the CEO and deputy CEO in ensuring the effective running of CFE’s operations.
JOB TITLE: Operations Lead
Contract: 12-month fixed-term, with potential to convert to permanent
Salary: £28-30k per annum
Location: Home-based initially / Central London office (covid-permitting)
Overall objective of the role:
The Operations Lead is responsible for:
- Ensuring that CFE’s operational systems and processes work effectively, securely and efficiently, for both staff and (where appropriate) external stakeholders
- Overall responsibility for the CFE website, and managing / co-ordinating content updates from other team members, ensuring that the site is up to date and accurate and that security and functionality is maintained
- Maintaining the integrity and accuracy of CFE’s CRM data, including integrating third party contacts into the database
- Sourcing and maintaining relationships with the range of venues that CFE uses for its wide range of events
- The planning and delivery of CFE’s events, working with members of the leadership team to co-ordinate and organise an effective schedule
Operations Lead– specific responsibilities/accountabilities:
- CFE finance system and reporting – maintaining up to date payment records, approvals and reconciliation of bank transactions, working closely with CFE’s book-keepers. Managing petty cash transactions.
- Managing our supplier and partner contracts so that they run effectively, including payments and delivery. ensuring payments / receipts are actioned promptly and accurately and contract terms adhered to and updated, as required.
- Lead owner for the CFE website – responsible for maintaining and updating the site structure and security, and co-ordinating inputs for updated and/or new content from other CFE team members. Will ensure that the CFE website is, and continues to be, a key resource for showcasing achievements and providing information about the organisation for external stakeholders.
- Lead owner for CFE’s CRM (Customer Relationship Management) platform – data entry and management processes, bringing in new datasets, briefing and trading team members, data audits and compliance with relevant legislation (i.e. GDPR).
- Sourcing, selecting and booking event venues – managing budgets, staffing requirements (internal, sub- contract and volunteers) and event logistics.
- Managing the overall CFE events schedule across our range of activities, including small-scale speaker events, workshops though to conferences and 200+ attendee public events.
Operations Lead– other responsibilities:
- Helping with day-to-day Office management to ensure that the office is run effectively and efficiently – both virtual and physical (when permitted again).
- Supporting delivery of the NEF programme of workshops and supporting activities.
- 3-5 years professional experience, in an operations-focused role
- Degree educated
- Startup experience is highly desirable
- Hands-on experience running financial processes, ideally with prior experience of Xero accounting software
- Commercial management skills – managing supplier contracts, negotiation skills and effective stakeholder management
- Experience in maintaining and updating websites, ideally via WordPress
- Familiar with CRM platforms – entering, managing and updating customer data, ideally via Salesforce
- Strong general IT skills, and comfortable acquiring new skills and learning to use and operate new platforms
- Event planning and delivery skills, across a wide range of event types and sizes, from small scale workshops to large scale public events
The ideal candidate will be a highly-motivated individual who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing a varied workload, and who can quickly form positive relationships both within our team and across a diverse stakeholder group.
We are a small team and although we each have a main area of responsibility; we get involved in and participate/help in all areas of the CFE’s work. The role will appeal to someone who is keen to get involved in the UK’s entrepreneurial ecosystem and happy to ‘roll up their sleeves’ to get things done.
At present our team is home-based – this will continue until government restrictions are relaxed, when we will revert to an office, based in Central London. We work in an easy going but fast-moving environment and constantly have deadlines to meet. The successful candidate must be task-, delivery- and results/outcomes-focused.
Working with the CFE will give the selected candidate incredible exposure and access to leading companies, business leaders, entrepreneurs, media and government. Our network of supporters is huge and growing daily. The role holder will be comfortable in such an organisation, and will have the confidence and presence to represent the CFE to these stakeholders.
No direct budget ownership, but the Operations Lead will be working to maintain and report the whole CFE budget (c. £1M per annum).
No direct reports.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.