The Chief Executive will provide high level strategic leadership and management to the whole Organisation with an emphasis on high standards of person-centered care. Influencing and being accountable for all of the services that the Organisation provides, the Chief Executive is the individual responsible for ensuring that the Organisation meets its statutory and service obligations and works effectively with key partner organisations and individuals. The Chief Executive plays a key role in building a shared vision of the aims, values and culture of the Organisation.
More specifically the Chief Executive will lead and direct the Organisation, its services and resources, management and staff, to achieve agreed objectives with particular emphasis on the continued delivery of high-quality care, service development, financial stability, and ensuring all legal and contractual requirements are fulfilled. The Chief Executive also leads the nursing team as the Director of Nursing.
Leading and managing the organisation
• To provide vision, direction and leadership in enabling the Organisation to achieve its strategic goals and objectives as agreed with the Board
• To take ultimate responsibility for clinical governance and standards of clinical care and ensure that appropriate assurance and management processes are in place to fully comply with Care Inspectorate Commissions regulations and standards
• To lead a team of qualified Nurses, and act as the Director of Nursing or the organisation.
• To ensure that sound financial management and corporate governance systems and processes are in place to enable the organisational objectives and financial objectives to be met
• To ensure the development and implementation of appropriate strategies, plans, performance monitoring and management for resident and clinical services, and support functions including:
o clinical services
o community services
o education and training
o finance & information technology,
o human resource management
o volunteer services
o fundraising and income generation
• To lead and manage the members of the Organisations Senior Management Team ensuring their professional performance and development needs are addressed and that the culture of a learning organisation delivering high quality services permeates throughout the Organisation
• To work with the Chair and the Board to provide effective leadership to the Organisation and to ensure the Board is fit for purpose through structured programmes of Board development tailored to individual and corporate needs
• Support the Chair and the Board of Trustees to fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the proper governance of the Organisation, ensuring that the Board receives appropriate information and timely advice on all relevant matters
• To develop and maintain positive collaborative partnership arrangements with the local NHS bodies, local authorities, MSPs, MPs, voluntary sector, universities, other Care Homes and other relevant organisations
external regulatory bodies, for example, Care Inspectorate, the Health and Safety Executive and the Scottish Charity Regulator
• To negotiate and agree service contracts and SLAs with key organisations where appropriate
• Optimise all resources and produce innovative ideas, project analyses and business case proposals in the best interests of the future of the Organisation
• To contribute to the development of policy affecting Care Homes through active involvement in national, regional and local forums and initiatives
• Ensure robust risk management systems are in place throughout the Organisation
• To take on any other responsibilities or tasks that are within the employee's skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
• To encourage and facilitate research in all areas of care for older people and for people living with dementia
Promotion of the Charity
• Seek opportunities to expand and promote the role of the charity
• Represent the charity in public forums such as speaking at conferences; attending sector policy forums; producing written material for the charity’s own publications/promotional material as well as any appropriate external media
• To build a strong external image for the Organisation and create opportunities to enhance the profile of the Care Homes and its services
• Act as an Ambassador for the Organisation, attend fundraising activities and events as required, building appropriate relationships for the positive benefit of the Organisation. Promote and maintain productive external relationships with the media as appropriate
Fundraising and income generation
• Ensure the income generation strategies to maintain and enhance the level of funding from existing sources and develop new funding streams.
• Develop and build relationships with partners, supporters, funders and potential funders to maximise opportunities for income generation.
The job description will be reviewed during the annual appraisal process.
Educated to degree level
Registered Health Professional – such as Registered Nurse, AHP, Social Work -
Substantial leadership experience in health and social care, gained at senior level in a complex multi-faceted environment with evidence of leading the delivery of key targets, service improvements and management of change
Solid track record of effectively managing resources and budgets, with experience of delivering long term financial sustainability and stewardship of valuable resources;
Ability to demonstrate an understanding of the current health and social care environment, the progress of the national & local health strategies and the likely impact and challenges for the Organisation
Ability to forge and nurture partnerships and collaborative relationships with a wide range of organisations both inside and outside healthcare and charitable sectors;
A strong strategist, able to work with the Board to define a clear direction for the Organisation and then able to articulate that vision both inside and outside the organisation;
Demonstrable evidence of strategic development leading people / organisations through successful change; the development of a senior management team
Ability to demonstrate a strong understanding of the opportunities for the Organisation, particularly in the context of strategy and changes in the health and social care environment;
Leadership experience of managing multi-disciplinary teams with specialist skills is essential
Management experience influencing at Board level or working within a committee structure
Relevant -post-graduate qualification
Qualification in Business Management
Evidence of continuing professional development
Previous experience in Third sector organisation
Leadership experience gained recently within a health and social care organisation or similar environment
Board level management experience
Experience of being a trustee
Personal Skills & Abilities
• The ability to engage a diverse group of staff and volunteers through an empowering and engaging style
• Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the Organisation at all levels both internally and externally
• Resourceful, resilient with complex problem-solving, decision-making and analytical skills
• Able to demonstrate a mentoring style at all levels in the organisation
• Able to work with clarity, openness, and with a sense of determination to deliver agreed objectives
• Politically astute, with high levels of emotional intelligence, the highest levels of personal integrity and honesty
• Committed to the vision and values of Queens House (Kelso) Ltd.
(Queen’s House (Kelso) Ltd)
Charity No. SCO10314
QME Care is an award-winning organisation situated in Kelso in the Scottish Borders We are now seeking applications for our next CEO. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for candidates who hold a professional qualification in nursing, AHP or Social Work. With proven leadership skills and a clear philosophy on person centred, rights-based approaches to care and support, you will continue to lead the organisation and maintain the established excellence in care.
As Chief Executive you will be required to demonstrate executive leadership skills and excellent commercial acumen, leading, and contributing to the strategic direction of the organisation ensuring sustainability in a challenging financial environment. As CEO you will take responsibility as the Registered Manager for the two care homes, while being an ambassador for the organisation, you will build strong relationships with all stakeholders. You will work closely with the Board of Trustees, particularly the Chair in order to ensure robust governance and assist with the development of future strategies.
So, if you are ambitious and inspired, why not join this forward-looking Charity as its leading Executive and be located in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.
An excellent salary plus pension scheme will be offered.
If you would like to speak with the current CEO, and Board Chair, or for any informal enquiries about the post and responsibilities please contact in confidence – email@example.com, PA to the CEO or call 01573 224886.
Application form, Job Description and an Information Pack can be obtained from:
Rennie Welch LLP - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01573 224391
(Closing date for applications – 10th February 2021)