Location: Folkestone Office, remote working, some travel may be required within and outside Kent
Salary: £34,728 per annum pro rata
Hours: Part-time, 20 hours per week
Report to: South Kent Mind’s Board of Trustees. The Chair or Vice Chair will be responsible for line-management and supervision.
South Kent Mind’s Vision:
Everyone with a mental health problem in our area has somewhere to turn for advice and support that is person-centred.
We will empower people towards resilience by raising awareness, educating, and providing early intervention opportunities aimed at preventing problems occurring or reoccurring wherever possible, or reducing their impact if they do.
We’ll listen, give support and advice, provide comfort and relief through a wide range of services across South Kent and develop and grow our provision/services accordingly.
We support people on their road to recovery so they can reintegrate with their communities and provide wider support with a long-term view of ensuring a positive, healthy, inclusive and productive environment.
CEO Role Description:
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is accountable to the Board of Trustees for the leadership, strategic development and management of South Kent Mind. The CEO represents the organisation and promotes its vision, mission, values and work to key stakeholders, partners and the wider general public. They also ensure the service is of a high quality and meets the needs of the community.
The CEO will also be responsible for identifying opportunities for growth, business development and diversification to ensure the financial sustainability of the organisation.
- Support and assist the Board of Trustees in carrying out the strategy and objectives of South Kent Mind in line with its mission statement.
- Ensure that services are of a high quality and make a difference to the people and communities who use them.
- Ensure that funding levels are maintained in order to meet the organisation’s priorities and new funding streams are explored and secured.
- Identify and develop strategies for exploiting new opportunities for development.
- Continue and further develop the commitment to ensure that South Kent Mind services meet best practice in terms of equality and diversity.
- Campaign against stigma, all discrimination and bias and ensure better mental health provision locally and nationally.
Key areas of responsibility
- Overall responsibility for operational, service and performance management issues.
- Line manage the Office Manager, Wellbeing Team Leader, Finance Officer and Volunteer Co-ordinator.
- Ensure that South Kent Mind raises the funds required for both operational and project needs and new avenues of funding are explored and secured.
- Be responsible for ensuring a good level of communication between all stake holders of South Kent Mind, whether they are users of the service, staff, volunteers, Trustees, funders, the local authorities, NHS or other key agencies.
- Be responsible for developing the culture of South Kent Mind; modelling and encouraging an attitude of caring, trust, support and respect towards and between, all involved with South Kent Mind.
- Have overall responsibility for ensuring that induction, internal and external training and support is available for Trustees, staff and volunteers as required.
- Ensure the organisation meets the requirements of the Mind Quality Mark and the Mind Federation Agreement. Drive continuous improvement in quality, standards, image and reputation of South Kent Mind.
- Work closely with South Kent Mind’s Board of Trustees and Management Team to plan, carry out and evaluate its Strategic Development Plan.
- Engage with staff and service users with regard to the implementation of the Strategic
- Work closely with South Kent Mind’s Board of Trustees and Management Team to seek out,
develop and evaluate new business opportunities
- Work closely with senior managers within the local NHS, Local Authorities and other partner agencies to strategically develop mental health services in the local area.
- Develop corporate relationships with current and potential funders and work to develop the
overall presence and effectiveness of the Mind brand
- Maintain, develop and evaluate fundraising opportunities and promotion of our services
Leadership & Governance
- Lead the charity’s staff team, act as the central point of contact for most aspects of the work of South Kent Mind and ensure the charity meets all of its legal obligations.
- Support the Board of Trustees in carrying out their duties both as a non-executive member of the Board and as chief advisor to the South Kent Mind Board.
- Ensure South Kent Mind’s core services remain at the heart of the charity’s operational offer with a primary focus on recovery within the strategic plan.
- Maintain and develop an effective relationship with National Mind and other local Minds.
- Establish and develop relationships and partnerships where appropriate with all stakeholders, funders and other local mental health organisations and the wider voluntary sector.
- Take primary responsibility for the public face of South Kent Mind, including media relations and social media.
Operational and Performance management responsibilities
- Maintain the financial sustainability of South Kent Mind and secure new funding.
- Gain and maintain specific quality standards and good practice generally.
- Lead service redesign and development.
- Ensure South Kent Mind’s adherence to employment law and human resource best practice including regular staff supervision, annual appraisals, staff development, training and evaluation.
- Review and maintain all Policies and Procedures and their implementation in accordance with legislation/compliance requirements.
- Ensure appropriate risk assessment management, adult and child safeguarding and Health & Safety best practice throughout the organisation.
- Maintain and establish evaluation and feedback procedures and communication systems.
- Develop and ensure the recording of service metrics with robust evaluation processes to funders.
- Act as Company Secretary to South Kent Mind Limited, ensure all the Companies House and Charity Commission requirements are met and that the charity is compliant.
- Other tasks as required by the Trustees
- Staff recruitment, advertising, preparation of job descriptions, interviewing, references. Induction of staff and volunteers.
- Arranging placements for police, students, counselling, etc.
- Ensure high quality service user involvement.
- Participate in training (both internal and external courses) as appropriate.
- Ensure services are accessible to everyone in the South Kent Mind area regardless of their age, gender, ethnicity, language, disability etc.
What we expect from you
- Experience of leading an organisation in the voluntary or community sector - alternatively be able to demonstrate the range of transferable skills acquired in other sectors that would meet the job description.
- Strategic thinker
- Experience of financial planning, managing budgets and raising funds
- The ability to be well organised with a systematic and positive approach to challenges.
- The ability to be flexible and able to address change as well as supporting others to do likewise – a team builder.
- Willing to take responsibility and work on own initiative but within agreed boundaries.
- An excellent communicator who appreciates the importance of sharing information with the staff/volunteer team, service users and Trustee Board when necessary.
- Able to convey information in a clear and concise way.
- A flexible approach to working duties
- Have knowledge and experience in the mental health sector where possible.
- Able to work within the policies and procedures of South Kent Mind.
- Able to ask for help or support if needed.
- IT literate.
- A Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and two referees will be required in the event of appointment.
What you can expect from us:
- We will ensure that you are fully supported to carry out your role and that you have every opportunity to develop the role and your skills over time.
- We will provide ongoing support, training and supervision.
- We will ensure you are fully familiar with our policies