ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY
- Are you looking for an exciting and unique opportunity to advance your skills, knowledge and experience in supporting people with learning disabilities?
- Are you interested in supporting people with learning disabilities to overcome digital barriers and to be part of the COVID-19 emergency recovery?
You will be joining a highly committed and well-supported team who are working together to champion the rights of adults with learning disabilities, their families and/or carers.
The Elfrida Society (Elfrida) started its work with people with learning disabilities 100 years ago. Initially known as Elfrida Rathbone Islington, we continue to build on our work with people with learning disabilities, in Islington and surrounding boroughs, to this date. Throughout our long history Elfrida has always been proud of its cherished community base and strong record of campaigning for inclusivity and against injustice. To ensure that people with learning disabilities have the same chances and opportunities to succeed in life and that their voice and rights are represented.
We are particularly proud to be an accessible and accountable employer of people with learning disabilities. Currently our organisation is supported by a strong team of 22 staff, including 14 employees with learning disabilities and a dedicated team of volunteers.
JOB TITLE: Digital Inclusion Support Worker – Supporting people adults with learning disabilities
REPORTING TO: Operations Manager
Purpose of the Job
We are currently seeking a talented and compassionate individual as a Digital Inclusion Support Worker. As our Digital Inclusion Support Worker, you will be responsible for the delivery of focused digital skills training and support for people with learning disabilities in Islington and surrounding areas. People with learning disabilities and/or learning difficulties will require support to make the most of devices such as phones, iPads, laptops, etc. To build connections, keep in touch with family, friends, and support services, using online platforms such as Zoom, MS Teams, Skype. As well as support to learn how to access online services such as NHS/GP Services, Job Centre Plus, including online job searching, etc.
The post holder will be responsible for the delivery of training and support sessions, either in small groups or on 1-2-1 basis, in people’s homes or at a safe location, with the objective of increasing digital competency and confidence. From time to time the post holder will be also involved in the facilitation of sports and recreational activities in collaboration with the Sports Services Manager.
Our ideal candidate will be able to facilitate ‘remote delivery’ using a range of digital technologies and platforms and must be IT literate in using a range of Microsoft Office programmes to include 365 products and modern digital technologies, i.e., Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Skype. As well as to facilitate group activities.
- Meet project specific requirements and compliance measures by delivering high quality digital support and training to people with learning disabilities, both remotely and face to face.
- Work collaboratively with operational teams to offer high impact digital training solutions to meet a range of service users’ needs (including, Skills Assessments; How-to deliver sessions; Making the most of, and other relevant activities).
- Assess digital needs and select appropriate facilitation methods or activities, design and develop interventions which meet the requirements of people with learning disabilities with different levels of need.
- Accountable for meeting targets, which will include delivering an agreed number of sessions per week / month
- Establishing and maintaining good contact with the parents, families, carers, and other people providing support to people with learning disabilities we support.
- To build and maintain a positive and productive relationship with other projects within Elfrida and external partner organisations, encouraging referrals to the service.
- Representing the service and the organisation at all relevant internal and external meetings.
- To attend monthly supervision meetings and to participate in team and staff meetings as and when required
- To work within and fully comply with the policies and procedures of the Elfrida Society
- To keep up to date and attend necessary training to ensure understanding of relevant policies and procedures, legislation, standards, and requirements, including safeguarding, the Care Act, GDPR, confidentiality, etc.
- At all times to maintain the professional integrity and reputation of the Charity and represent their main interests in any dealings with other bodies, groups, and individuals
- To undertake any other duties, proportionate with the purpose and remit of the post and to participate in other events as requested by the line manager
- Work in co-operation with the Advocacy Services Operations Managers and staff to ensure the needs of people with learning disabilities are central to project delivery.
All Elfrida’s employees are expected to implement the organisation's equal opportunities policy in their day to day work by developing a range of practical strategies for encouraging all users of our services to feel welcomed, and that cultural and ethnic differences are valued.
All workers are always expected to maintain a professional approach and to be generally accountable for their work and that of the charity.
Skills and Experience
- Understanding of the needs of people with learning difficulties and the barriers they face
- IT literate in using a range of Microsoft Office programmes to include 365 products and modern digital technologies, i.e. Microsoft Teams, Zoom and Skype.
- Experience of delivering, developing and/or facilitating training programmes face to face and/or remotely using a number of digital technologies.
- Track record of working to targets and deadlines.
- Good working knowledge of issues that affect adults with learning disabilities or vulnerabilities
- High level of listening, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to listen and communicate in a clear, simple, and constructive way with people with learning disabilities on an individual basis and in groups.
- Ability to practice confidentiality within the required safeguarding guidelines, whilst fully recognizing and adhering to the rights of the learning-disabled person
- Ability to translate people with learning disabilities’ priorities into learning plans and actions
- Ability to empathise with people with learning disabilities, relate to their concerns and to inspire trust and confidence
- Ability to work independently and manage own workload
- Ability to present information, in accessible ways to make it more understandable to people with learning disabilities.
- Award in Education and training or certificate in Education and Training
- Full driving licence
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Contract type: A fixed-term contract until the end of May 2021
Salary: £13.50 per hour
Pension: All eligible employees are automatically enrolled into our scheme. Contributions are in line with the governments’ minimum standard (currently 5% employees and 3% employers).
Hours: 21 hours per week - Normal working days are Monday to Friday, normal office hours 9:30 - 17:30 with up to one-hour unpaid lunch break. The nature of the role is such that some flexibility is allowed. Additional hours may be required from time to time, including some evening or weekend work.
Annual leave: Your holiday entitlement is the pro rata equivalent of 30 days. Your entitlement accrues at the rate of one hour’s paid holiday for every 8.285 hours worked.
Based at: The post holder will be primarily based at 34 Islington Park Street or working remotely. The post holder will be required to travel and work at any other locations, such as clients’ homes or at such other places as we shall direct.
All other terms and conditions are as listed in the Contract of Employment and Staff Handbook.
This job description is intended as a summary of the main elements of the job described. They may be varied from time to time in consultation with the job holder without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed. Such variations are a common occurrence and cannot themselves justify a reconsideration of the grading of the post.
Please click the link to apply and we look forward to hearing from you - Please only apply with your completed application form seen attached to this job listing - any applications supplied without this may not be considered.