The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) is the UK's largest funder of health and care research, funded through the Department of Health and Social Care. Together, NIHR people, facilities and systems represent the most integrated clinical research system in the world, driving research for the benefit of patients, carers, the health & care system and the economy.
The NIHR Centre for Engagement and Dissemination (CED) coordinates research dissemination activity and patient and public involvement, participation and engagement in research. The Centre works with a wide range of stakeholders to broaden the diversity of voices heard by NIHR in all of its activities. It also publishes easily readable summaries of the most useful research evidence for health and social care.
We are seeking a second communications and marketing manager to enable the developing work of the Centre to reach its many audiences. The Centre’s work is delivered with a diverse community and involves a wide range of expert collaborators who provide expertise in patient and public involvement, participation and engagement in research, knowledge mobilisation, science communication and medical writing.
Centre staff are employed by LGC, a life science company which hosts the Centre under a contract with the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC).
The Communications and Marketing Manager will contribute to the communications and marketing strategy of the Centre and will deliver communications and marketing activities to fulfil the Centre’s annual work plan.
- Work as a member of the CED stakeholder engagement and communications team to support the functions of publication, dissemination and knowledge mobilisation and public engagement and involvement with, and participation in, research
- Contribute to the development of communications and marketing strategies related to the responsibilities of the CED
- Ensure influential public involvement, participation and engagement and research dissemination-related NIHR news and feature stories are shared as appropriate through digital engagement
- Research and produce concise and engaging written, visual, video and multi-media content for NIHR channels (e.g. web, social media, blog, e-news)
- Manage the systems (e.g. website, databases) used to disseminate knowledge across the NIHR and stakeholder groups
- Work as part of the broader NIHR communications team to ensure integration of the Centre’s communications activities and to support delivery of the NIHR’s Communications Strategy
The holder of this post will report to the CED’s Head of Communications and Engagement (alongside another communications and marketing post) and will be a member of the CED stakeholder engagement and communications team but will have close contact with all members of the CED team. They will attend meetings of, and share resources, ideas and ways of working with, the Grant Management Group communications team within LGC. They will also contribute to the work of one or more cross-NIHR working groups and so will develop relationships with counterpart communications specialists in other NIHR coordinating centres.
The key competencies required for the role are:
- Knowledge of health research processes and systems, including government, charities, other research funders, research organisations, and health and care providers
- Understanding of the NIHR and its place in UK health and care research
- Expert knowledge of best practice in communications and marketing
- Planning, organisational and prioritisation skills with the ability to deliver multiple priorities with demanding deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer focus, including successful internal and external liaison
The following qualifications, experience and skills are required for the role:
- First degree or equivalent experience
- At least three years’ experience in a communications and marketing role
- Strong skills and experience in a wide range of techniques and processes of communications and marketing, including digital, publications and press
- Experience of working collaboratively with colleagues to deliver complex outcomes
- Demonstrable capacity to work on their own initiative with experience of implementing improvements in communications and marketing processes and services
- Experience of building and using news media contacts
- Skills in design techniques for the creation of marketing materials
- Confidence in dealing with complex stakeholder relationships involving senior members of staff in local and national organisations
Please apply directly via our vacancy page with your CV together with a covering letter indicating your suitability for the role, setting out clearly how you meet the person specification criteria listed above. Applications that do not include a covering letter of this type will not be considered. If you wish to make an informal enquiry about this post, please contact Alison Ford, CED’s Head of Engagement email@example.com .